In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I suspect most of you can do this as well.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Buck55, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Buck55

Buck55

When I am moving firewood from my outdoor storage to my garage and porch for the upcoming season, I can usually recall when and where I got the individual piece from as I mix types in the pile. Example: That red oak came from Bruce's woods two summers ago, that apple came from my father in-law's yard, that ash was from the deadfall I cleared from a trail on my hunting land last spring, that black locust came from Chad's backyard, etc. etc. Any of you do this too?

Hellcat, Spencer, Chris F and 20 others like this.
  2. billijak

billijak

I'm not that emotionally 'close' with my wood.....I mean firewood! :p :rolleyes:

3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Used to able to do that, but now some of it gets forgotten. Sixty/Seventy cord per year & I forget some of the smaller hauls.

4. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, except all the ash I have on my stacks is starting to blend together. While I know that the apple I brought up was from neighbor Dave's green apple tree that the utilities said they had to cut down :picard:the ash I brought in was certainly the ash that was closest to the road. That piece of silver maple in the cartload I brought up was from grumpy Greg, another neighbor, that can't make a 90° angle chainsaw cut, and has issues making even close to uniform lengths. :rofl: :lol:

5. Loon

Loon

You just need a few of these ac. :coldone:

[​IMG]

6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Got some, just can't remember where I put em.:rofl: :lol:

7. Haftacut

Haftacut

I do that with unique pieces for sure. Just loaded a maple crotch in the furnace that I whittled down as far as I could split it by hand before giving up and throwing it on the stack. Larger than most of my other splits but I’ll bet it’s still burning in the morning!

8. Loon

Loon

Check on your head! Oh wait a minute, thats me and my glasses.:picard: :coldone:

9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I am afraid that I am right there with you Buck55. I can go to all my various stacks and know where the wood came from. I do not try to remember but it just happens.
    Maybe working for something like firewood leaves an impression.

10. SammyWhammy

SammyWhammy

I’ve collected basically all ash this year and truthfully it all blends together. I will admit that I do go outside and smell the fresh splits. I absolutely love the smell of freshly split ash.

11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I can recognize each split about 90% of the time. With Ash it gets kind of hard because I've sourced it from all over due to EAB. It all gets stacked in the same spot though so that’s where things get blurry. All my Beech, White and Red Oak, Sugar and Red Maple, and Black Locust piles are easily remembered. Maybe it was just more memorable scrounging...

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

I remember a fair amount of the pieces. Mostly, like Haftacut says, the unique ones.

Although I think Mag Craft nailed it with "I do not try to remember but it just happens." Same here.

Sad part of the whole thing is, I'll pick up a piece and ask 99lbs "Remember this one?" Then I get the look and the head shake!

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

They keep getting delivered here, but I send them back since I can't remember ordering them. :picard:

14. FVHowler

FVHowler

Yes, I remember where my wood comes from, every scrounge from my land or in my area. I have small stacks of wood around the house and all have easy access. Having small stacks and remembering where they came from helps me remember the age (when collected, split and stacked). My profile photo is from a Post Oak from my land. The grain (swirl) in the split was so cool, I took a pic. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

15. Buck55

Buck55

I read that alcohol can damage short term memory. If that's true imagine the damage alcohol could do!

16. Buck55

Buck55

Same here!

17. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

my name is NOT Greg, I’m NOT your neighbor, and I AINT grumpy neither DAMMIT!!!!:mad:

18. Ron T

Ron T

I do the same. I know what came from my property and elsewhere. I tend to keep wood separated as it is stacked.

19. theburtman

theburtman

I take a picture of the tree when cut and when stacked. In addition to where it came from it gives me a date. Sometimes I forget which year it was cut and this solves that.

20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I too catalog my wood ventures with phone pics and I’m right there with ya, i can typically remember where the wood came from! We sick... :rofl: :lol: