I first went down to the Yellow Birch, it was rotten so I headed up top, after passing picture 9598 for a look see for more Maple, I came back. This area has been closed off since last year so I said why not cut it up, picture 9600 was the top of 9601, it should make for some nice fires.
Picture 9608 is the smaller Ash and picture 9609 is a picture of the bigger rounds of Ash that I'll need to split up top.
Pics o4 & 08 sure look like Butternut to me.Most of it grows north & east of here.Not many around my area,a few still untouched by Butternut Canker.Tellltale fawn/light brown heartwood & 'fluted/wavy' growth rings is an easy sign.Bark looks dead on too. About the same weight/density as White Pine,VERY easy to saw/shape.
Could that be a Black...."stalkless" leaflets?? Can't tell how many leaflets from that particular pic. 9806 doesn't look to me like Ash of any kind.
Some of the 20 linear feet of 9"-12" Butternut I pruned from dead limb off a lone tree in small park in Guthrie Center IA Sept. 2010.Seen the dead limb,wanted it for future woodturning,possibly carving/sculpture & hated to see it go to waste since its getting rare & expensive now.Small town so I went to City Clerks office,was told where the main city tree guy was in the park. Chatted with him a few minutes,told him I'd even rake up the chips,bark & small twigs.He said 'Thanks but you don't need to do that..." We shook hands & he said "Be careful & have fun " Big contrast when I wanted a mulberry burl off a huge tree on city owned grassy strip they were removing 2 houses north of me here in the big city back in 2002 or so.... I told the clueless City Forester (who's now been a City Councilman for about 10 yrs now ) after he informed me ''it was a risk for citizens to be using chainsaws & other equipment,even their own on ''city-owned wood" that I had many more years experience operating chain saws of all sizes & descriptions either on the ground or up in a tree while using rigging etc than ANYONE on his crew standing in front of me right now & that I'd sign a waiver or anything if it soothed their ego to keep them from worrying about me suing their bureaucratic arses...... I walked up the street with my big Poulan 475/36" bar over my shoulder & they were like when I sliced up that large burl.