In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Compressed saw dust blocks

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Searching hasn’t yielded much. Perhaps I used the wrong words for the search.

Any of you have any good experience with these compressed sawdust blocks? If so, what brand?

What brand seems to be favored by most?

Not looking to burn them by the pallet as I still burn wood and coal. Just wanting to know the best brand or two so I can gather a few to try.

mat60 likes this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I have bought and liked these from Menards. I checked a random store in Ohio. Here's the link.

Wood Fuel Blocks 6-Count at Menards®

For some reason, they are 50 cents less expensive there!

blujacket, Hoytman and mat60 like this.
  3. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

I used to get the six pack at Tractor supply. They have a 3 pack of very large “brick” too but my experience was the smaller six pack ones worked much better than the larger brick 3 pack.

4. boettg33

boettg33

My experience over the past 10 years has been with both BIO bricks and Envi-8 bricks and their blocks. I have purchased a large block many years ago from Tractor Supply and they were garbage. Most like they have changed.

I swear by the ENVI blocks.

Pros:
    • 7% moisture content - Cleaning my chimney every year has yielded a small amount in the bottom of the bucket.
    • 4 blocks in my stove gets me an overnight burn.
    • Very little ash in the stove.
    • Blocks come in a plastic package with 3 blocks.
    • Easy to stack
    • Easy to get going.
    • 1 ton is equal to a little over a cord of wood.
    • No seasoning required
    • Knowing that the material is recycled rather than tossed as waste is another plus.
    Cons:
    • Sold as a ton, some 1/2 ton pickups don't do well with this if you are picking them up.
    • $310 is the current price for a ton. A great deal more than a cord of wood, but you are not getting a properly seasoned cord of wood.
    • Can be stored outside until the outside plastic is removed. After that plastic is removed, they need to be kept in a dry place. So storage of multiple tons without a barn or extra garage bay makes it difficult. I have to get one ton at a time.

As for the original BioBricks, we burned them for 3 seasons. They were good, but hard to find locally. It got to the point where I had to drive well over an hour to get them. In searching for a local dealer, I stumbled onto the Envi-8's. They are brick size like the original Bi0bricks. I burned those for two years then made the switch to the blocks which burn longer.

This year we are mixing the blocks with semi-seasoned wood and really like that mix. Until we have splits that are 3 years old, we'll continue to purchase a ton or two. Once our three year plan is in place, I might still purchase 1 ton of blocks each year.

mat60, In the Pines, RGrant and 2 others like this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Can’t find either of those brands near me. I did get two bundles from TSC and two from Menard’s. I wanted 4 bundles of each, but the wife kicked them up, so I won’t complain. I’ll grab more tomorrow.

mat60, In the Pines and yooperdave like this.
  6. Wade

Wade

I was pretty happy with the 6 pack bundle from Menards. A 6 pack lasted about 5 hours with coals left that easily ignited A full hardwood Load added for an overnight burn.

mat60, In the Pines and yooperdave like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

A smaller split or two with two of those bricks on top will heat for 2 1/2-3 hours for me.

Wade, mat60, In the Pines and 2 others like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My brother sells these Eco-Bricks...
    Enviro-Bricks
    I've used them a few times, just to try them out...still have a few around and will chuck one in with a load once in a while if I get a wild hair. They work fine...have only tried a full load of them in the stove a couple times...wasn't in love with it, prefer standard firewood, but that's just me...he does have some customers that burn these solely so...
    There used to be a website where you could find a local dealer close to you, but I don't see that anymore...

In the Pines, yooperdave and Hoytman like this.
  9. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

How do they bind the sawdust?

In the Pines and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Found a video. Looks like they are using Mineral oil.

In the Pines likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No binders...its just compressed into a solid block...they will start to disintegrate if they get wet...
    Quote from their ad...
    "Enviro-Bricks are manufactured from 100% kiln dried hardwood lumber sawdust and compressed with 24,000 lbs pressure making them twice as dense as cordwood."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  12. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I stand corrected once again. The guy in the video just had it sitting there for some reason(?)
    I would have thought that dry wood would just crumble, but the guy said that the lignin in the wood keeps it together.

In the Pines likes this.
  13. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’m going to keep some in the house away from the stove, but near it 7’-8’. If I like them, I will buy a few more and place in plastic buckets and place in our garage. I’ll keep a few dozen blocks around. I do have about 1 rick of wood that’s been outside and covered for a little over a couple years, but the other 2 cords is still drying. I burned coal last year and have 2 tons of nut in hand. Not planning on burning much wood until my wood is 3+ years seasoned or the moisture meter says it’s ready, so I wanted to keep some of this blocks on hand just in case.

I’d say there are compressed under really high pressure...many tons worth.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

As long as you keep them under cover (no rain, snow, flooding) they will store fine...an unheated garage is fine.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

15. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

When I first started burning and short on dry wood I picked up a bunch of these at my local tractor supply. I wasn't crazy about them, they were just ok. I just didn't like they way they burned for some odd reason. I still have a 6 - 8 of them in the garage.

16. chris

chris

2 styles either extruded or Pressed in to block form. In the case of the extruded the friction from compression and extrusion causes enough heat to soften the lignin and bind things together. Brick form generally uses a heated die and may or may not pre- heat the raw material before compression a which point the friction again causes the lignin to become plasticized binding it together. Home production I've read about all kinds of various things added to make things stick together - but most of this is very low compression. I made some with a 20 ton press worked ok but still not as dense as commercial using some corn starch as a binding agent ( band saw and table saw leavings)- just way too much fooling around for price of commecially produced bricks.

17. RGrant

RGrant

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's who my brother buys from I believe...

In the Pines likes this.
  19. Hoytman

Hoytman

A change in wood type or eco-bricks, coal, pellets, etc., usually calls for giving them a fair shot so you get used to how each burns. I’m not saying you didn’t do this as you probably did.

Just making a point for those who may read this into the future. Could require different stove settings, fuel placement, etc.

My garage is really damp at times in this valley. That’s the reason I mentioned placing the blocks in sealed buckets. Sometimes with major temp swings we get moisture all over everything inside. An issue I need to fix ASAP. We haven’t lived here long enough to get to that project. I need to check to see if grandpa insulated to walls, which I think he did, but the attic has zero insulation in the garage. I think that is the problem. The

In the Pines and ReelFaster like this.
  20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Agreed 100%, I was new to burning didn't know my butt from a hole in the ground, just knew they didn't burn like dry wood WHICH is expected well..... because they are not! But they burn and give off heat ..

In the Pines, Hoytman and brenndatomu like this.