In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

If you want to move up in the splitter world

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Creekin

Creekin

I upgraded my cylinder to a 4.5"(?) From a 3.5", slowed it down a bit but increased the power too
    Bought it used, just a homemade unit from previous owner
    Thought of upgrading the unknown single stage pump, upgrading the motor too, adding reinforcement to the beam....
    Might as well start over
    But have sent about 40 cords through it and its easier than splitting by hand

2. oldspark

oldspark

I just have a cheap one (Speeco) , pretty sure it will out live me as it shows no sign of wear for 8 or 10 years use and starts easily even after sitting for a few months, if it was a problem child then I would upgrade.
    I an not a spring chicken so YRMV.

Stumpy75, Spencer, Jack Straw and 5 others like this.
  3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

When I first started out I was all in with "wanting" a kinetic splitter but like you say the time savings in minimal with a one person crew and that thing intimidates me a bit........I don't sell wood so am in no rush really, its more of a hobby and a pleasure. I tell my wife am going out back to play which usually involves splitting and or moving wood.

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC System. You'll like it here. We like beer, dogs and pics. Lots of pics. We have very knowledgeable people here that are willing to share. Pull up a log and sit for awhile.
    Stay healthy and stay safe.

5. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Are you do
    Why are you asking? Are you going to turn it into a business? I have a single wedge Champion 34-ton and it's more than sufficient for my needs. I don't do firewood for a business.

I'd say if you are doing it for a business definitely check out some "bigger" splitters but if you're just doing it for yourself I'd say save your money.

If you take care of the splitter (change/check oil, change hydro fluid, check for leaks and squeaks, etc.) then it should last you a long, long time as it is.

I have an hour meter on all my small engines (chipper, splitter, generator) so I can keep track of when to change the oil.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Chvymn99, Spencer, Jack Straw and 5 others like this.
  6. System

System

Thank you much... I am on forums for about everything I'm interested in. Trucks, ATV/SXS, guns, snowmobiles, tractors, etc. and often multiple forums for each... (Although I'm not on any for beer or whisky despite enjoying both regularly... :)) Recently I found this spot along with a couple other wood/tree/hearth forums and have enjoyed participating. I hope to learn much and help when I can...

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I saw a kinetic used several years ago and was impressed by the speed. Ive used and watched several hydros and was bored waiting. Id prefer the kinetic as most of my wood is nice straight grained and "easy" splitting for the most part. Like TurboDiesel i work alone so production wouldnt be any faster, but i like the speed factor. I know they are pricey but i would be the route id go. Any gnarlies id noodle.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yes welcome to the FHC :handshake: Great to have you here!

9. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

The only upgrade I would be interested in would be a hydraulic lift, otherwise my 27-ton hydraulic has done what I need it to do for the last 11 years. I rely on it, since I heat 95% with firewood, but since I'm not in the business of selling cordwood, see no reason to upgrade. As sirbuildalot mentioned, to me there is more time to be saved by becoming more efficient in the whole processing effort (i.e., where are the rounds in relation to the splitter and the stacks).

10. Jon_E

Jon_E

The only power splitter I have ever used has been my Timberwolf TW-P1 which is a good high-quality but entry level machine. I have considered selling it and getting a Super Split, but a lot of what I process is either really gnarly or really big (or both!) and the kinetic shines in smaller diameter wood. I've recently seen a bunch of videos with the Eastonmade Axis, and that is a serious machine. I would love to have one of them if price was no object.

11. Meche_03

Meche_03

If I had the stars line up I would get an EastonMade 5-11 with box wedge with drag return, 4 way wedge, lift, and auto cycle. Auto cycle is a bonus and much easier to buy them change over to.

$9000 CAD....$7028 USD.

I would have to sell wood to make the numbers work out. At $300 per cord of hard wood it's possible to pay it off in a year with 23 cords...simple math, No fuel or time cost.

Personal use I would have to split for 7 years to make it pay off.

jo191145, Farmchuck, Spencer and 6 others like this.
  12. Yawner

Yawner

I already sell some firewood each year. I am strongly considering thinning a lot of hardwoods off my woodlot for crop tree release. If I do this, will be alot of hardwoods cut and I don't want to just let them lay. I have explored getting them logged but I want my land protected and my crop trees protected, especially, and from what I can tell, I will have to do it myself to do it to my standards. Then the issue is what to do with the logs. It's not like the old days around here where you could get a small operator logger to do something like this. There are no small operators around here anymore. And even me thinning the trees and dragging the logs into a pile to sell, I have yet to find anyone who would pick them up and take them to a mill! Still looking but it's just not like it used to be. The other option is ramp up firewood sales. If I do it. Because this is going to be a ton of work. And, only in cool months, it's brutally hot here in summer. So, was wondering what it would take to get benefit from a 'better' splitter. Some good posts in this thread.

I tell ya, the coolest firewood processor I believe I have ever seen is one that is on a bobcat / skidsteer. It picks up the log, cuts it into rounds one at a time, splits the round and all of the splits can drop into a trailer. You never touch a split until you stack it, if you stack. Another option there is to split into a dump trailer and then just dump the splits onto a deck of pallets and let them dry that way. If so, you never touch the wood. Now all of that is real pricey but it's awesome! Profit is not my motive; I am willing to spend to save wear and tear on me because I am not as young and fit as I used to be. Life is short, spend some money, man, lol. Heck, I need a new truck, tractor, mulcher, processor, couple of different trailers, bushhog, grapple, box blade, FEL, all kinds of stuff! Oh yeah, and a motorcycle and an airplane. If I get rid of all my boats but a couple and just some of my guitars, I can probably buy every bit of that!

13. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Sounds like you got some decisions to make. It also sounds like budget is not high on the priority list which is great. I, too, need to sell at least one if not a few guitars. Top of the list is a Fender custom shop double bound ultra rare Dakota Red tele.....vintage spec tuners and pups and........here's the kicker.......a rosewood fretboard......and a really nice mint green pickguard. Interested? Hahahahahahahaha.

It's already brutal enough in the summer here in NY. My splitting activities were definitely down during the sumer. I can't imagine down in Lousianna!!

I'd get busy getting rid of things you don't use and replace them with things you want to do!

14. eipo

eipo

Aside from the sheer aspect of keeping up with the SS, here are a couple more downsides I encountered for my process. Mind you all of these can be overcome by a) paying attention and b) not trying to put something through the splitter it wont split....

- The kinetics do not like knotty wood or wood with wild grain patterns. Trying to push a split through that ultimately wants to turn or twist while on the wedge will usually lead to the rack getting tweaked enough that it wont return after bumping the handle down. This leads to either using a split to try to knock everything back, or usually a sledge or splitting maul to beat the stuck split and rack back so you can resume splitting. This is usually avoidable by not trying to split something the splitter isn't designed for. But sometimes our eyes get bigger than whats feasible and we try it anyway.

- Occasionally you'll get a sliver come off a split and wedge itself between the rack and the beam. About the only way to remedy this is to loosen the bolts so the sliver can be removed. I found this is just one of those things inherent to the design.

Not bashing a kinetic, these are simply situations I encountered.

15. Horkn

Horkn

That Easton made is very impressive. I'd like to compare what Wolfe Ridge would be comparay.

16. Meche_03

Meche_03

I think the Wolf Ridge High output is the closest.

Outfitted the same as the EastonMade it looks like $9800. Engine and pump are bigger but splitter weighs less. No box blade just 6 way and 4 way splitters. Larger engine and pump platform...full deck. Smaller exit table without added extension.

I don't know if there is added cost of getting an EastonMade south of the boarder.

17. Yawner

Yawner

Seems someone asked about shipping Eastonmade to USA; their site says $700 to $1000.

18. eipo

eipo

Don’t forget about the exchange rate with the Easton made.

19. eipo

eipo

And the wait time.

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. jrider

jrider

You mention saving wear and tear on you. That simplifies it. Get a splitter with a log loft and a 4 and/or 6 way wedge. Brand isn’t all that important as they all have their pluses and minuses.

Farmchuck, Spencer, Horkn and 3 others like this.