In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burning cookies on purpose

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gavorosalini, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Decided to get a little frisky tonight and throw a cookie in the stove. Its about 12ish inches across and 2 1/2 inches thick silver maple. I didnt open it to check moisture content but the other splits from the same stack have been reading between 12 and 15%. Seems to be burning quite well. Turned the air all the way down for the night. I dont expect much to be left in the morning, but we shall see.

Attached Files:

2. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Nothing wrong with burnin cookies.

3. Husky Man

Husky Man

Just so long as they’re Not Snickerdoodles you’re Burnin, them Dayum Snickerdoodles, will look BEAUTIFUL from the Top, and Bottom Burn, if you look away for just 20 or 30 seconds, oh but am I a SUCKER for Snickerdoodles :drool:

Back in the Good Old Days, in a Place, Not So Far Away, at a Time, Not so Long Ago, 2005-2012 or so, I had a regular weekly run from Portland, OR to Spokane, WA, at the East Bound Sprague Lake Rest Area, West of Spokane, there was the Volunteer Coffees Booth, and if I was LUCKY, this Grandmotherly Older Lady would be there, and she always brought Home Made SNICKERDOODLES, that Ol Gal KNEW her Snickerdoodles, and always timed them PERFECT, the bottoms still soft and the right color, and the Moistness was Indescribable.

I would always eat one right there, and the expression on my face is would tell her all she needed to know, but I would still tell her how much they reminded me of my own Grandmothers Cookies, and she understood the Compliment as it was intended, and she would give me this Wonderful Smile, that I still remember.

Oops, I think that we are talking about different kinds of Cookies ;), but it did bring back some Good Memories :D

Doug :cheers:

4. Horkn

Horkn

I burn wood cookies all the time. Especially when it's not really cold out.

5. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

I feel in my novice state I have committed a major error. I have been throwing the cutt offs and cookies into my brush pile instead of stacking them. I will try to dig out what i can, but will definitely utilize them accordingly from here on out. Mistakes are how we learn i suppose.

6. moresnow

moresnow

Those would make a nice dense load if you had enough. I must admit my cookies get used up outdoors. Maybe I'll retrieve a few for something different for the stove!

7. billb3

billb3

I ended up with a bunch of cookies when I hired out having a tree pieced down too close to service street wires for me.
    Red oak, some split all by themselves sitting on top of the stack, the others busted up pretty easy so as to fit in the stove.
    I thought they might be a PITA somehow when I decided to save them, but they really weren't at all.

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

9. M2theB

M2theB

I toss them in the ‘to be stacked’ pile.
    They get used to chink the oddball splits to keep things orderly when I stack the shed, when they’re handy. I’d say at most, I sacrifice a dozen rounds a year to the cookie monsters.

It’s a good question you ask Gavorosalini that Ive thought about asking on here. I think of the builders like huskihl that must creat a cord or better of cookies over the year. How do you manage them?

10. huskihl

huskihl

I burn some of them, especially if I’m getting light on firewood. But a lot of it lays there and gets buried by snow so a couple times a year I push it off into a pile in the woods

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ill mix cookies in with nuggets/shorts bin. Use them for SS. Real thin/small chunks saved for the firepit. Coincidentally a bunch of cookies from a recent silver maple scrounge. The wood was already bucked to the wrong length. IMG_3529.JPG
    Was there anything left this morning Gavorosalini ?

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I make bins out of pallets and throw nuggets/cookies in them. Pictured is a one cord bin. (now full) I stack the front with 10-14" short splits and "back fill" with the rest. IMG_2816.JPG
    Another overflowing bin filled in the same fashion. I end up with more shorties than most as a lot of my wood is scrounged and precut. IMG_3370.JPG

EODMSgt, WoodPirate, Spencer and 10 others like this.
  13. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

There was just a few coals left, 9 hours later.

14. jo191145

jo191145

IMO cookies should dry faster than regular splits.

15. Jon_E

Jon_E

I burn them in the wood boiler. Got to be dry though. They make great coals. I have a bunch of oak and ash cookies right now. If you're into making your own charcoal these are a great use for that.

16. Horkn

Horkn

At absolute worst, cookies, shorts, and fuglies work great on a campfire. I also will stuff cookies on the top of a full reload for when it's really cold and you want a nice long hot fire.

I also find that my wife loves burning these during the day while I'm away. Smaller not as heavy pieces are easy for her to load in the stove to keep heat rolling out and when I get home it's a simple reload for me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

We ran out of charcoal late in our grilling season and i used locust cookies to make charcoal rather than buy more. Took longer but cooked the food very nice.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My friend commented on the same last Winter when the huge Norway maple i processed for him had a bunch of shorts/cookies from my work. They were easy for his wife to handle and she loved them. I have a boatload of cookies and have been pushing them on him.

19. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Yea - How to handle them is a reasonable question. For me the thin ones get saved for the top of the stack, just under the roofing material. The thicker ones, probably better described as “brownies” are mixed in the stack where appropriate. Often I start with a row of thick brownie like cookies on the bottom and add as they fit - see below pic. This stack was filled 12/19 - a year old now.
    D1A3CD47-C29A-41BC-A8FD-96D6A6258074.jpeg

20. Timberdog

Timberdog

Unfortunately, that seems to be the way I learn best.:tears: