In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sprocket look OK?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by grandgourmand, Dec 18, 2020.

  1. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    Hi there,

    A while back I posted about an issue I had with my chain not turning, even when trying to manually turn it. Wasn’t sure if it was chain, bar or what. I cleaned out the bar guide grooves, greased the nose sprocket that wasn’t turning, put on a new chain and all was honky dory

    until this past week. I was cutting an ash log and when I completed the cut the chain popped off. When I went to take the cover off to replace the chain I noticed the nuts were really loose. I tried to put chain back on and it just wouldn’t work. Inspected the chain and I noticed the teeth were nicked and burred.

    so definitely user error here. I hadn’t checked the chain tension or the clutch cover. I will replace the chain. Maybe the bar. But I also want to make sure this isn’t possibly a sprocket issue as well. Here are a couple pics...looks fine but one of you guys might know better.

    05DC7A03-5C4F-4F60-94D5-7301A087431F.jpeg B50320A5-7985-4E01-BC9E-6AA4004D060F.jpeg
     
  2. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,699
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Just file the burrs off the drivers you will be good to go! Ask buZZsaw BRAD
     
    amateur cutter and Sandhillbilly like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,171
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Yup. Check the drive links on the chain. If the chain jumped it hit the bar and made tiny and i mean tiny dings in the drive links. Enough to bind and stop rotation. My Stihl 194T has a spur type sprocket and not the rim type like yours. Carefully inspect each drive link on the chain and hit it with your flat file (i used the one for my rakers) and 2-3 passes and walla it worked. I had the bar off and slowly pulled the chain along slowly pulling each cutting tooth to see if there was any resistance for the DL below and if so i checked and filed as needed.
    Also eyeball the chain when pulled taught and see if any links are bent. Check bar groove the same way.
    "Luckily" it was only a 12" chain on my saw.

    Its a rather tedious process and id rather sharpen a 36" chain. Ive had a chain jump numerous times over the years but a first for this. Bent one good once when the saw bound in the cut and i wiggled the hell out of it to remove and in turn bent it! :picard:
     
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    The first pic looks ok, the second close up makes one slot look hammered to me.
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  5. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like some chips off the casting, maybe a small crack too For the $7 or so, I’d replace it. That’s on your 550?
     
  6. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    Sorry to ask the dumb question but how does it look hammered?
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  7. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    Yeah it’s the 550. Are these things tough to replace?
    yeah thisis 18”. I’ll give it a go. It’s not like I have a busy Christmas
     
    amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,171
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Let me know how it goes.
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  9. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    It looks like the edges have been smashed away. Like it’s encountered too many smashed drivers.
     
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    amateur cutter likes this.
  10. grandgourmand

    grandgourmand

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2016
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    7,436
    Location:
    Ontario
    got it thanks. Will check again today. Picture quality is not great
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  11. Meche_03

    Meche_03

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2019
    Messages:
    583
    Likes Received:
    3,415
    Location:
    Missouri
    I'd say the drive looks good. I have grooves wore into some of mine and the still run. I have replacements sitting on the shelf if they start giving me problems.