In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Ham Radio Operators on FHC?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I'm in the "2" zone, but I have salted the earth near the antenna so it doesn't get overgrowth across the driven element. I don't know if that affects conductivitity in a positive way as I would expect, or is detrimental.

2. bigfrank

bigfrank

I'm pretty stoked. Did something I would have never dreamed about 5 years ago. I passed my Extra test today! It was a much tougher test than the General test I took a month ago. Sure glad I did it now. if you are on the fence, just do it. I used this online site to study for both the Geneal and Extra tests and it worked great. 24 hours of studying for the General, and 40 hours of study for my Extra ticket. Most could probably do better. I don't have real great retention and that helps.

You can use the free online services, but I found that this paid service was much better, and not all that much money in the big picture.

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

3. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

Congratulations!

4. bigfrank

bigfrank

Thanks Joseph.

5. bigfrank

bigfrank

Built and installed the DX Commander Classic all band vertical over the last two days. Should have 80m-6m, but will need an external antenna tuner to get 30m and 6m. 80m element is an inverted L, and runs over to my other pushup pole that my VHF/UHF antenna is on. Radio and other gear should be here on Tuesday!

20201126_082119.jpg 20201127_144816.jpg 20201127_144905.jpg

6. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

7. Chaz

Chaz

Wow.. I've been a total slacker
    :emb:

Been offline far too long
    :confused:

Congrats bigfrank on your Extra
    :dancer::rootintootin:

Like that DX Commander as well
    :binoculars:
    :cool:

8. bigfrank

bigfrank

Thanks Chaz!

9. Chaz

Chaz

You're very welcome.

Anybody calling CQ on any specific frequency range on a "regular" basis?

I call a bit into the wilderness on 40 and 20.. but currently limited in 80M.

Hoping to fix that soon.

10. bigfrank

bigfrank

I have been tuning around the bands lurking for CQ callers. Made a few contacts, some long. In the evenings, I've had good luck on 40m and 80m working Texas and the mid west from Northern California. Had a contact with New Zealand and one in Argentina this week. I hear we are going to have some big solar winds that might make the bands favorable again.

I hears someone talking to another guy the other night with the name Chaz. Not sure if it was you, but the band went away before I could get in to find out.

11. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

There is a guy named Chaz on lower end of 75 almost every other night with a few friends. He’s from New Jersey or Pennsylvania I think. Friends from Florida, New Hampshire maybe a few others, I don’t recall. I talked to them once and I was apparently not chatty enough, I was called a man of few words. It takes me a while to warm up to people. Anyway they seemed nice. I gave them my highest compliment up front, I said they sound reasonable. That night many were going off about politics very angrily and these guys were not.

I can look up his call sign later it was not our FHC Chaz.

I am so behind on splitting because of my arms. Just yesterday I was able to resume. I have a big pile to work through. So I have to get back to that. Just finished lunch here.

Anyway good to hear you’ve been on and the bands are improving. 10m is even a little active with some activity to South America lately. I think I got into radio just in time to see the cycle open up, which is fortunate.

12. bigfrank

bigfrank

Listening just now on 3.730Mhz, and a few guys are rag chewing and one of them is Chaz, or a Chaz, maybe not our Chaz!

I have been having some good luck with DX contacts. Had Chile and Belgium on 20m today, as well as Japan and a very good sounding station in New York on 17m also today.

The Japanese AM broadcast station have been in the upper part of 40m strong in the morning, and heard South Africa on I think 17m or 15m (cant remember) yesterday, but couldn't make contact. He had a huge pileup and I couldn't get through it.

All in all, I'm having a blast with HF. The sticker shock and more so, the buyers remorse of spending tht money (I get it with everything I buy) is gone now!

13. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

My wife passed her technician exam today! We’re now one of several ham couples in town.

Chaz, bigfrank and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  14. Chaz

Chaz

Great to hear that.
    :thumbs:

Getting back to studying for my Extra class ticket. Want to get it before the $35 upgrade fee goes into effect.

Will chat more here tonight after work.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  15. BCB

BCB

A Baofang UV-5R arrived yesterday. The programming cable is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Get your coms in order boys and girls.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  16. Eckie

Eckie

I've watched this thread off and in, have entertained getting a Baofang type handheld for years, but never pulled the trigger. I have no experience and am not very knowledgeable in radio workings /technology etc. Can these radios (frequencies used) be "jammed" or blocked?

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz

Well, pretty much anything can be jammed if enough power is applied on the right frequency.
    Definitely not me. My antenna will tune down to 3.675 Mhz on 80M, both in not allowed to play under 3.800 Mhz yet.

My current antenna doesn't like to tune above 3.840 Mhz, so I want to put up a vertical for transmitting on the top range of 80M.

I'd adjust the fan dipole for better 80M coverage, but don't want to change things on 40M. 80 is "trapped" on the 40M wire.

Hope everyone gets their license before the new fee's go into effect.

18. Eckie

Eckie

Since folks seem to be gathering and investing in these for shtf type moments, I'm assuming the thought is that they won't be jammed and folks will be able to communicate, unlike cell phones. Or am I totally missing something? If someone were looking for very basic level information to start learning about Ham radio (book, website, vids etc), what would you suggest?

19. Chaz

Chaz

As to a SHTF scenario, it doesn't have to be a complete meltdown for the communication network to be overloaded.

9/11 is one example, the California wildfires disrupted normal communication methods, hurricanes, tornadoes, many natural disasters disrupt normal communication channels.

Think how bad things would quickly get if satellites were affected.
    Phones, internet, likely banking would all be affected.

I'm certainly not implying ham radio would replace these services, but a means of communication could be essential.

Most of the time it's just old men jawjacking.
    :whistle:

I'll work on compiling an online list.

ARRL.org is a start.

I've got books I'm willing to lend as well.

As an aside..
    VHF/UHF (primarily handheld radios) are considered for local communications, up to 30 miles or so, depending on many factors.
    Edit.. Think primarily line of sight.

HF (home type radios) are considered for regional (100-500) miles, as well as long distance (potentially worldwide). Once again many factors determine range.

Also, CB radio's can fall between the local to regional range, with potential of reaching many hundreds of miles.
    No license required

Eckie and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021