With Hickory. Does any form work better than another? 4” diameter cut up limbs, big splits, small splits, all the above? Giving my brother some hickory for xmas, so I want to make sure It’s what he needs for cooking pork. Does it need to be seasoned hickory?
SKEETER McCLUSKEY ...? I prefer 4-6” chunks from heart wood of bigger splits. I don’t let any bark get in the firebox, regardless of what species I use... which is most often cherry from the stacks.
I know he has a smoker, but I want to give him enough to pit cook a bunch of shoulders, or whole hog. At this price my gift should be worth more than $500.
I like small branches cut 4-5" long and split in quarters. It doesn't take much wood smoke to flavor meat. You just want wisps of blue smoke coming out the stack
Depends on what smoker he has. A side box might take 12-16 pieces where an electric or propane may only take small chunks or chips
If he has a small outdoor smoker he might be used to chips that are the size of what would come out of a commercial chipper.
Maybe the wood will force him to gift himself a smoker to match the wood, or build a cinder block grill in his backyard.