In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

They want me to buy more chains!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Haftacut, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Haftacut

Haftacut

So I bought a new bar/chain combo for this cutting season. Same size chains I’ve always used. I have a reputation for getting the most out of my chains, if you know what I mean:rofl: :lol: put my new bar on and put one of my used chains on from last year and was too loose even with the tensioner all the way out. Figured that didn’t make sense that my old chains wouldn’t fit on a brand new bar but would on my old worn bar, so I bought the oem bar made for the saw that I had ran last year, and had the same issue. Sprocket looks good and was new either last year or the year before. Are they making the bars just a smidge smaller so you have to buy chains more often? Plan to take a link out and hope that It’s then not too tight. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

amateur cutter, Horkn, M2theB and 2 others like this.
  2. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Different style nose on bar ?

3. tamarack

tamarack

If you post make and model of saw, bars, and chains meebe someone on here has had a similar experience.

4. Haftacut

Haftacut

Same style nose too.

amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  5. Haftacut

Haftacut

Husqvarna Rancher455 saw. These are the two bars I have tried with the “farm tough” bar being the one I have always used In the past. A39A5057-3814-4D3B-B92B-AE086912116C.png 3D7B0550-8978-4505-9A31-B3DCD554F442.png

6. tamarack

tamarack

Your old chains wouldn't fit the Oregon bar? I've had a 455 rancher before, even ran the Oregon and Husqvarna bars. All of my chains fit on both bars. Same with my 372. I've seen variance in the carleton and windsor bars. Stihl 066 with carleton bar had to have 92 drivers instead of 91.

amateur cutter, Horkn and Haftacut like this.
  7. Haftacut

Haftacut

Wierd huh? When I put my saw away for the season, my used chains fit fine on my old bar and now there isn’t enough adjustment to get them tight on my new bar. Put a new chain I never used from last season on and it worked but not a lot of adjustment. I only filed it three times, cut probably 3 cord, and I have no more adjustment on the tensioner. Still practically brand new chain!

8. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Lay the old bar on the new one & compare width, if bars are identical count the drivers on the chains. I'd bet the chains may be the difference.

9. Haftacut

Haftacut

Unfortunately, I threw away the old bar before I bought the new one. Still kicking myself, cause I feel that may explain things. Counting the drivers is a good idea. I’ve always ran the same chains, but probably shouldn’t assume, right. Thanks for the input. I’ll make sure to post once a solution is found:thumbs:

amateur cutter likes this.
  10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

There are two different bars that are listed as 20". One has 72 drive links and one has 70 drive links.
    Also chains can stretch but if chain fits one bar and not the other then two different bars.
    The bars usually have it stamped on them somewhere near the mounting how many drive links they are. 70 or 72.

Haftacut, JimBear and amateur cutter like this.
  11. Haftacut

Haftacut

I
    Wish it were that easy:hair: 72 bar with 72 chain. Been using/buying the same stuff for years now! Just gonna take a link out as I run out of adjustment I guess. Thanks for the input:yes:

Mag Craft and tamarack like this.
  12. ErikR

ErikR

Maybe it's just me, but I think before I started breaking a chain apart to take out a link, I'd disassemble the saw and try again. I'd try to be 100% sure I wasn't overlooking something simple... But then that's just me...

Good luck.

13. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I do have a chain here with 71 drive links because it did stretch out enough that 72 was to long. So it does happen.

Haftacut likes this.