In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

46 and raining hard this morning. Was 10 degrees colder when I went to bed. Supposed to get up in the mid 50’s today. Threw some EWP on the flames to keep the house nicely in the mid 70’s. Will probably let it go out after this initial small loading.

2. moresnow

moresnow

22F and 74F. 40F today with climbing highs through the next few days. Might actually get some rain/snow in the next day or two. It's been awhile. Still and clear this morning. Another nice AM. Stove is doing it's thing without complaint. Go Chiefs. Wow:whistle:

3. Gasifier

Gasifier

About 28 at my house this morning. Says 32 for the big City here. Pine burning in the Wood Gun. Temps warming today should melt the little snow that is left pretty quick. We received 3-4 inches yesterday and early evening but it warmed right up and changed over to rain by 9PM. Temperatures don’t look too cold over the next two weeks.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You have not changed a lot Steve! Maybe a few extra lbs, but that just seems to happen. :rofl: :lol:

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

There is still a few patches of it hanging around here.

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Had some snow yesterday evening/night that eventually turned to rain this morning. Just enough to make everything a mess. Temp says 34 right now and there is still some rain coming down so the stove is going with white birch and silver maple. We're supposed to have a cold front coming through today so the concern now is everything icing up and limbs/trees coming down under the weight.

DSC00001.JPG

7. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Raining steady here on Mass/NH line in central Mass. 50'F outside the Fv is still burning down coals from last nights load. 77 in the house. I'm letting the stove go out.

8. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

damm it, I wasn't thinking 40 years ahead. :)

9. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Talk about neat stacks! What are you using for bottom pallets, or are those concrete bricks or pavers?

10. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

From back in the day when you were required to wear your hunting/fishing license so that it was visible. Haven't seen anyone wear one of those in a long time. Back in the day, NH F&G supplied a metal holder with all licenses. In the 40's, NH F&G was unable to provide license holders due to the metal shortage caused by the war.

11. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Thanks. Each stack uses 8 standard cinder blocks with three 2x10x12 PT boards for the base. Not the way most people would do it however after playing around with different stacking methods over the last 11 years, I found this works for me with the space I have available. I can track when each stack was CSS and the room in between allows for plenty of airflow. Just before the snow flies, the oldest stacks get moved into the wood shed and the process starts all over again. I keep at least 30" between stacks so I can get a wheelbarrow in between them. Each stack is 1 cord at four feet high and 1.25 cords at five feet high. The five stacks were moved into the wood shed just over a week ago (talk about good timing) and last week I got started on refilling them with just over 1.5 cords of scrounged wood.

Attached Files:

12. billb3

billb3

63ºF and rather heavy rain.
    Thunder and lightning.
    Ground-shaking thunder, of which, given the ground shaking earthquakes lately, are preferred not.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Low 20's this morning. Had to put the shovel down before I went for my morning walk.

14. RobGuru

RobGuru

Been a warm November here. We've had fire, but we're far from having to go 24/7. Had a small fire before bed last night comprised of small mulberry splits and a few chunklies. Did not start a new fire before leaving for work. Low 50s F overnight but cooling through the day today. More mulberry and chunklies tonight, I'm sure!

15. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

35 deg and windy with falling temps here, Red Maple drying the laundry on the clothes racks now.

16. Gasifier

Gasifier

28 this evening. Spitting something close to sleet occasionally. I just loaded the Wood Gun with standing dead Elm rounds I cut last spring, I think. And a piece of Ash.

17. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

You don’t look like an Oldhippie to me...
    You look like a MAN:cool:

18. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

28F & clear here tonight, no wind, it's beautiful out. Still burning Walnut.

Gasifier, yooperdave, EODMSgt and 2 others like this.
  19. Marvin

Marvin

28* out 68* in...burning down some coals before loading up with cherry and red maple. It looks like we are gonna have a mild Thanksgiving.

20. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

32F outside, woke up to 59F inside. Got some cherry making the situation better.