In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sunday firewood gathering

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwidow, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    It didn't rain this morning so after lunch we headed out to get that pine (gasp) that we saw on our trip Thursday. When we got there we found this.
    IMG_0878.JPG
    Some one had been here ahead of us and took the part that wasn't in water. Nice thing about a winch on the splitter. campinspecter dragged the pine top out of the water.
    IMG_0879.JPG
    This only gave us one row in the truck. It was too hazardous to go after the butt end of the tree so we had a look around for something else.
    The Nimpkish valley had the longest privately owned logging railroad in North America but after a tragic accident a couple of years ago, the train system hasn't worked. This summer they started taking the tracks up. This is a shot of the old railway bed.
    IMG_0886.JPG
    As we were leaving the other place, campinspecter looks down the railway bed and says "I think there is a tree down across the railway line". Sure enough, we drive up there and find this.
    IMG_0882.JPG
    A blown down hemlock just sitting there waiting for us. It was in a group and was the easiest to get at.
    IMG_0884.JPG
    This is the top on the other side of the railway bed.
    IMG_0885.JPG
    Didn't take long and the truck was full.
    IMG_0887.JPG
    There is just room on top of the last row for saws and tools.
    IMG_0888.JPG
    Empty spot in the woods.
    IMG_0889.JPG
    The rest of the top we will have to come back for. There is more in the woods that shows in the picture.
    IMG_0890.JPG
    Plus there is another one lurking a little ways away just waiting for us.
    IMG_0891.JPG

The best part was we didn't have to back up all the way out of there. There was a wide spot farther along with lots of room to get turned around to leave. All in all a good day out getting firewood.

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

That’s awesome!!! Looks like you two had a good time. I like the splitter!!! :tree:

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

You'd rather have the hemlock instead of pine, right? Seek and you will find.

4. Yawner

Yawner

That abandoned railroad sure makes a great roadbed!

The splitter is awesome; I love the big wheels so it pulls better. And the winch!

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

That’s splitter... make your guys life so much easier....

6. JoeinO

JoeinO

That looks like a great time in some beautiful country.

Horkn, Spencer, Woodwidow and 7 others like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Woodwidow, that picture could have been taken in Michigan's UP! The trees are just a little different but yet much the same. There are abandoned railroads all over the place. Many are now grown over but you can still find most of them. My favorite old RR runs from Manistique to Shingleton and has now been changed over to the Haywire snowmobile trail. Near our old deer camp there used to be an old shingle mill but sadly the is basically nothing left of it now. btw, I am perhaps one of the few left who remembers when the rr used to still be in operation.

IMG_0886.JPG

8. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

That's cool. Interesting also.
    We don't really have government or public land, open to wood cutting, except maybe with a permit at times on national forest, and maybe some paper company land. I am assuming anyone can just go in and cut any dead tree up?

Are there any rules as to what condition you can leave the mess in? It looks like whoever got there ahead of you, just cut what they wanted and didn't worry about what was left or where it was left? Just curious as to the laws there, or customs, regarding harvesting of dead trees on, what I assume, is government forest.

I like you splitter, and I can see how useful that winch is for your operation.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice to CS right on sight. Too bad about losing the section you wanted, happens to me from time to time. Snooze :sleeping:you lose! Good that you were able to find more.
    Nice country too. Id expect to see a bigfoot come strolling out of the woods!

Horkn, Winston, farmer steve and 5 others like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Looks like a great time. I enjoy being out in the woods cutting. One of the best parts of heating with wood.

11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Man that looks like a lot of fun. And that's a nice access cab Tacoma you got there too! Is it also a stick?? :D

12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

This is tree farm land so we have to get a permit from the logging company that holds the tree farm license. We can't fall just any tree. They have to be already down. Even the dead snags can't be cut down. Usually we harvest what is left behind in a logging clear cut but we had a big wind a week ago and there are trees down everywhere.
    We try to clean off any roads we have been cutting on but not everyone does that. The pine was on the side of a big turnaround intersection area.

Horkn, campinspecter, EODMSgt and 2 others like this.
  13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

If you mean manual shift, no it isn't. Achilles tendon problems mean no shifting.

14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

We went back to the same spot again today. Gorgeous day for firewood gathering. campinspecter had studied the pictures I took last time so we tackled getting the rest of the pine (gasp!). It went really well and gave us two rows of wood in the truck. All that is left is the stump.
    100_5711.JPG

There was a little Douglas fir hanging over the downed pine so we went after that as well. You can see it just above the splitter.
    100_5712.JPG
    Here it is out on the road waiting to to be cut up.
    100_5713.JPG
    We went back to the railroad bed and finished getting the hemlock we started on last Sunday. Then we went after another Douglas fir. With a full truck, the rest of it will have to wait until next time.
    100_5716.JPG
    Loaded truck pics for you.
    100_5714.JPG

100_5715.JPG
    The hills around here are getting a dusting of snow. Fortunately we don't have it down to road level right now.
    100_5717.JPG

100_5718.JPG

100_5719.JPG

Chvymn99, Horkn, Winston and 8 others like this.
  15. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Looks like a beautiful area you two live in!!! Not lately, but for several years we’d go up to the White Mountains in NH and it felt so cool driving through the mountains. Made me feel like I was in a 3D movie or something, with mountains and valleys on both sides of you.

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

That's a good day's work! It's fun to keep going back to a site with lots of wood. You can plan and strategize what you want to take. Could you tell if anyone else had been there, since the first time when some of the pine was gone?

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

No. It has been raining and because it is a workday week, we didn't see many vehicles hauling firewood. Our area is really geared to Mon-Fri working with Sat. and Sun off.

18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

So on Tuesday we headed out again to finish getting the firewood we left behind. There was quite a bit in the two logs left from the last session.
    100_5727.JPG

100_5729.JPG

So nice to have the winch on the wood splitter.
    100_5730.JPG

We need something more to finish the load.
    100_5728.JPG

Down at the turn around spot, we found a (gasp) pine. Didn't look like much at first.
    100_5732.JPG

Once campinspecter started to clean of the limbs, we got a better idea of what was there.
    100_5733.JPG

100_5734.JPG

Because it was dry out, campinspecter brought the cordless Sthil for limbing and marking lengths. It worked great. Even I could use it to do some marking.
    100_5735.JPG

Here are some pics of the pine needles and cones. I am not sure what kind of pine it is.
    100_5736.JPG 100_5737.JPG

Seeing as we had lots of batteries, campinspecter continued to use the Stihl to cut the lengths up.
    100_5738.JPG
    100_5739.JPG

We had to leave these behind but we will be back. There was lots more tree left in the bush.
    100_5740.JPG

Skier76, Chvymn99, billb3 and 6 others like this.
  19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Wednesday was dry, clear and frosty so we headed out again to get the rest of the pine. I tried to get some pics of the sunrise on the hills but taking pics from a moving vehicle isn't easy. We used to have a lot of nice views of the hills along this stretch of road but the trees grew up. Here is one that you can actually see something.
    100_5757.JPG

The site inspectors were out giving their approval but didn't stay long. A warm truck is better than frozen ground.
    100_5745.JPG

So why is Shadow in the truck already and I am stuck out here.
    100_5747.JPG

This was what was left behind.
    100_5741.JPG

The wind snapped the top.
    100_5742.JPG

It turns out to be quite a bit of wood.
    100_5759.JPG

100_5760.JPG
    A full load of pine. It was quite heady with aroma inside the canopy while I was stacking the wood. Of course we have pitch everywhere.
    100_5762.JPG

Chvymn99, Chud, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

For all of you who enjoy the sound of the wood going POP! when the splitter does its thing, here is a video for you.

Skier76, Chvymn99, MAF143 and 5 others like this.