In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone burn sassafras?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I have gotten a couple of sassafras trees from my woodlot that fell, I have a lot of these trees. But they aren't very big. Largest I've seen is one I harvested, maybe 15" DBH. I really like the wood. I find the both the bark and wood attractive and the wood dries fast and becomes real light weight but it burns really good. I doubt it is high btu but it burns great. Pops quite a bit, though. But in a firepit, popping is cool. Wondering how big they get where you are, if you have them.

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

My SIL has sassafras trees about 15in in diameter. Good shoulder wood.

3. i got no experience burnin sassafras but my neighbors always told me it kinda burns like paper ........ now the sassfras tree root makes a pretty tasty tea and candy

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I don't know, but I guess I will find out. I cut down a couple of trees to open up my shooting lane on my deer stand. About a rick. It splits easy.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I love sassy. One of my favorite SS woods for the reasons you listed. I love the smell of it too. Somewhat scarce around here and scarce scrounge for me. Couple this year. Pictured is the biggest ive ever seen. It was cut roadside next to an wooded lot. Couldnt find the owner of the land to get permission so never took it. IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2652.JPG
    Its very rot resistant too Yawner. Great for posts etc.

6. mr.finn

mr.finn

I save Sassafras from the chipper at work whenever I can. buzzsaw, I have never seen a Sass that big!! Too bad you couldn't grab it.

7. Yawner

Yawner

Gosh, that tree is huge, Brad. A shame it was cut down but once down, a shame you couldn't get it and use it!

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

They don't get much bigger very often but indeed can get bigger.

I love to cut one occasionally just to enjoy the odor. As I've stated before, they can make decent fence posts too...if you can find one straight enough.

Chazsbetterhalf and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  9. Yawner

Yawner

Brad and BWS Dennis... I am shocked that sassafras would make good fence posts. It dries so light, that just really is odd! And heck, I have plenty of straight ones. I have some young ones that blew over. I wonder if it matters if you use young trees, fence post size or if you should use limbs from a larger tree. Do you know... if you use them as fence posts, would you strip the bark?

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've never used limbs for this nor did I ever strip the bark. I have used some old oil, below ground, on them before, but not always.

Chazsbetterhalf and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was surprised to find that out myself. It was only a couple years ago too. Dont think it matters if bark is kept on or not. It will fall off. They make decking and other exterior products from it.
    Here's a link to decking made out of sassafras. Scroll through it to find sassy.

Robi DeckingĀ® - Black Locust Lumber & Decking

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Even if i could have it wouldve been quite the wrestling match. I went by there recently and it was gone. I scrounged some wood near there back in June and discovered it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020