In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work Done In 2020

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Maina

Maina

I know there’s one on the brake and another on the pto switch. I changed the seat on mine when it was new and I jumped the seat switch.

2. Erik B

Erik B

I do know that but I don't know where those other 2 interlocks are located.

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The pine branch in picture 1170 came down many years ago not long after I started cutting. I did the top with the pole saw and then bucked up some of what's left. I cleaned up a bunch of the dead branches with everything brought over to the fireplace waiting for a wet day.

In picture 1182 you can see where it came off the pine tree.

Attached Files:

4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Today started with me splitting some junk pine for the outdoor fireplace, hopefully we get some snow and rain so we can have a fire. I then felled the last part of what I think is a Red Maple, the other two trunks were all punky so I felled this with a pole saw and then split it.

Attached Files:

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You're just a regular busy beaver. You are making your woodlot look very nice. Great job

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

A friend asked me the other day how much we had gotten done the year. I did some deciphering, came up with 16 full cords CSS and 7 full cords sold so far.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

15 of 5 X 10 trailer loads plus a little here and there in the truck loads.

T.Jeff Veal and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  8. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

You all have been a busy bunch of beavers - congrats!

I’m happy with the wood gathering I did this year ~5 cords CSS. The big push really started in Aug 2019. Between Aug -Dec 2019 I CSS ~6 Cords. That’s ~11 cords sine Aug 2019.

I’d have done more this year but ran out of storage space - 17 Cords. Depending on outside temps that’s 4-5 years worth of burning.

Stay safe

Gpsfool

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Yes, you put up some nice numbers with the big firewood logs you had. I usually try to get 12 face cord in the fall but with the cleaning up of the dead pine, I've only put up four face cord. Even after this winter, I'll still be three plus years ahead, I would like another four face before any big snows come.

I'll put up another 12 face cord in the spring of 2021 iffin the good lord helps keep us safe through the winter.

After a tree soaking rain overnight, my day was spent burning that junk pine in the fireplace today, it was forehead hot. We still had some pretty good winds today so at the end of the burning session, I dumped 8 five gallon pails of water on it.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I took down a cherry branch that will make that area safer when I go through with the tractor in the winter, it also was rotting from the top down. I then limbed up some old pines on the northside and cut up a bunch of downed smaller dead pines and hauled six loads over to the outdoor fireplace. The limbing up I did today along with picking up some smaller dead pines will allow me to push snow into this area, hopefully I won't need it.

Attached Files:

11. Haftacut

Haftacut

Your firewood always looks so nice! From the sheds you put together to the stacking, it’s a top shelf operation you’re running Jeff:yes: Bet you enjoyed having you’re little helper too!

12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Some of the day was spent clearing trails before some possible snow coming in next week. Some of the trail clearing was cutting off some face slappers with some older loppers, there were plenty of wrist size branches that were across the trail that I threw into the woods.

I did have a pine come from the neighbors property into our trail so I cleared that and did have one American Hophornbeam that was down but there was a small section of it that was rotten so that was left in the woods.

Pictures 1223 & 24 I'm getting ready to head down a small ravine, 1225 is a picture of our bigger ravine, 1227 & 28 are of the pine that came into the trail thanks to mother nature, 1231 thri 36 is the small American Hophornbeam and 1239 & 40 is one of the highest locations on our property.

Attached Files:

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Beautiful place you have.

Chazsbetterhalf and yooperdave like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks T.Jeff Veal , the wife wants to go back for a ride so I did some sweeping of the trails before we go back.

We could be in for some winds and a possible snowstorm next week so I might be doing it again.

15. Haftacut

Haftacut

Love the terrain and how well kept you keep the property:thumbs: I can tell you take pride in it!

16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks Haftacut , we still have certain areas that are closed off or look like chit because of downed White Pine and Hemlock but the main trails and secondary trails I try and keep clean.

We have a new RTV with a cab which makes it higher than the Rhino so I've been clearing for use with the RTV, I'm not sure when that will be done but if I can use it hauling out wood next spring, I'll be happy.

The original owner put in all the main trails (big enough for a truck) and secondary trails which I need to cleanup this year if I have time or next fall.

Hopefully by Sunday, I get to check the part we call up top, I did most of my cutting up there this past spring, certain areas up there are a wreck with the trails only wide enough for the Rhino.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

I am constantly amazed by the openness of the forest area on your land.

Nice.

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We have areas that need thinning, usually it's the smaller Beech that try and take over a certain area. The original owner made his living off the woods we own so I'm sure he logged it off some but that was many moons ago. It was left to his son after both had passed away but he never set foot in the woods but had his cousin take care of it, he had two small shacks back there and could take a deer or so off it but he pizzed the son off (after the ice storm of 1998, he told the son the woods wasn't worth chit) so the son always remembered that and just thought he was setting him up for a reduced price.

Once the son told him to get his two hunting shacks off the land later in 2006, he wasn't a happy camper but that's life.

19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did have a nice outside fire today getting rid of some of the downed pine I c/s, I got running around picking up some smaller rounds and four loads later it was raining hard which turned into a hard snow for twenty minutes, that's when the wife gave me a hoot and a wave so I came in the house soaked but she had a nice cup of hot coffee for me.

The sun is out at the moment and I loaded up the Liberty which warmed me up pretty good. Everything is soaked on the Rhino so I'll be bringing that inside to dry

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I had a small Maple wind damaged tree across the trail that I took care of and then felled what was left standing and bucked up which pretty much filled the tub.

I checked another area that has a big ole Maple and it lost part of a limb, hopefully mother nature allows me to take care of it before we get a enough snow that will block off access to certain parts of our property. The buds in picture 1250 are from the big ole Maple.

Attached Files: