In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ramped up for this Birch!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Nov 21, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Actually it was an off ramp. Thanks to Eric Schamell :handshake: for the lead on this score. An area he has scrounged from many times. State cutting back from road. Wood cut maybe last Winter. Scouted it a couple weeks ago and had to look at a job ten minutes from there so hit it today. Over half hour from home.
    Black and yellow birch. There was some aspen which i left. Most of the birch was propped off ground and had almost no rot. Bark was tight. Cut and flopped/carried sections out of ditch to staging area then bucked for loading. 3/4 PU full of rounds. Was ready to leave and checked other side of road...bingo more wood. Sassafras and birch down an embankment. Didnt bother bucking. Still some sassy there which i may grab when i go back to do the job next week. Plus more on another ramp. Normally dont go far for a score, but birch is a rare scrounge for me. IMG_3496.JPG IMG_3495.JPG Staged logs prior to bucking. IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Pricey106, eatonpcat, MikeyB and 26 others like this.
  2. Yawner

Yawner

u da man!

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Nice scrounge, Brad.

4. Midwinter

Midwinter

Looks like a quiet section of road, as off-ramps go. You just had to flop it to the end of the guardrail? Worth it for good wood like that.

5. Skier76

Skier76

Good deal Brad! It's amazing what gets left behind or chipped! The state did some work on the Parkway this summer; northbound side in Meriden; kinda near the DOT facility. Lots of Oak!

And last fall..or maybe spring (I can't remember exactly...when things were 'normal' and I was actually going in to work vs working from home) they cut a lot down in the center medial between Cromwell and Rocky Hill. A lot of it got chipped. They had one of those massive tow behind chippers that had a grapple and an operators cab. They were chipping whole trees.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The ramp had very little traffic. Maybe ten cars in hour and a half. I think its more of a direct access to the big company near there. 50' flop to the end of the rail. Had to mark and buck a few. Shouldered some.
    Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b9/f9/d8/b9f9d837b0571c2935f7e8ceb401706f.jpg
    How often do you get birch Molly?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  7. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Gotta love the birch. Those logs will be a pleasure to work with.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I drive that section on a regular basis and saw the wood. Ive scrounged route 15 many times...Wallingford, North Haven, Hamden. There's some downed locust near there i may hit in the future.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think of you when i scrounge birch Steve. Know its your favorite.

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I drive by that every day on my way to work. They clear cut everything large and small, only leaving a few scattered cedar trees and some pin oaks. I remember driving by on my way home, watching these guys work and pulling my hair out :hair:

11. mirnldi

mirnldi

They did this on Rt 8 a few years ago as well. Clear cut the median and chipped everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Buck55

Buck55

Yeah Buddy! That's what I'm talkin' about!

13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It's amazing how much the ground cover hides during the summer. Weeds and small pioneering trees popping up everywhere. When I was working this ramp back in June/July, I was doing it mostly at night when I got out of work and it wasn't a bazillion degrees out. The black/yellow birch was definitely the best stuff to be had there. I ended up with a heaping load of Hemlock from that spot, and about 4-5 mixed loads of tulip poplar, aspen and some red maple thrown in. As you can see in Brad's pictures, there's enough logs there to keep an adventurous and determined hoarder busy for a long time.

MERGED.jpg

14. Chud

Chud

I drive past a juvenile detention center almost daily that has a big ash and cherry cut up in the yard and think about how you would go after it.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Would i end up in FHC detention center if i did? Why dont you stop and ask Chud?

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That was one plus...the weeds had died off. Still prickers to contend with. That embankment is a lot steeper than it looks. I ventured a little farther up and it was mostly smaller red maple logs. I noticed more in the median as i came North to exit that ramp.

17. Chud

Chud

I’m not as ambitious as you. I don’t know if I’d burn wood if I had to leave home to get it.

18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’m burning some Black Birch right now as I type. The heat it throws is incredible, and it really warms the old bones after a day in the freezing cold. It’s a beautiful thing :coldfire:

20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

The bulk of what I've got on hand is slated for next year but I have been burning some sporadically. I have a decent pile of skinny smaller sized splits of it that have become my go-to for restarts. Throw a few pieces on a bed of coals first thing in the morning and they're roaring away before my coffee is even done brewing :thumbs: