In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Confused, how do I know which version, MS 261 C that I bought?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I was reading the manual about starting and calibrating my new MS 261 C and it says that there are maybe 3 different versions of this saw and at least two different methods to calibrate the saw, depending on which version I have.

It says that the Stihl M-Tronic version is indicated on the approval label and M3.O indicates the STIHL version 3.O

Where's the approval label? My saw on the side if it says MS 261 C not 261 CM or anything like that. I have not been able to identify much in the way of an approval label.

I have already run at least 3 tanks of fuel maybe more through the saw, of course before I even opened the manual. :) Now, I am trying to learn the correct way. Heck, I just figured everything was automatic, start the saw, let it warm a little and go cut wood. And that seemed to work fine!

If I owned an MS 261 CM would it say that on the saw? Otherwise if it just says MS 261 C, do I have a lower version and not version 3? It seems like the version 3.O gets a little more complicated, and one can even damage the saw if not done correctly. I hope mine is below version 3.O

Please help me figure out what I have. And how do you operate, (start and run your's)

M2theB, amateur cutter and mat60 like this.
  2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I guess it has to be a CM but is it a version 3.O? or earlier version?

3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

The dealer where you bought the saw from should be able to tell what version it is.

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I figured it out. Darn, that M3.O is tiny on that label. I got a flash light and finally identified it at version 3. Then I took it through the calibration process, start to finish per the manual. It worked like they said it would. I guess it's easy enough.

How often do you need to go through the calibration process? Is that something one needs to do, every time or every day that you use it? I assume I can just ignore that process, maybe unless the weather changes, or other conditions change, new tank of fuel, or maybe different cutting conditions? What do you guys do who have version 3.O?

5. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I know, I just didn't want to go to that much trouble. I did figure out it is version 3.0

amateur cutter and Mag Craft like this.
  6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I do not own any saws that have the electronic controls. I work on saws all the time but the new electronics saw require special tools like a computer and software to trouble shoot and repair. Not all the dealerships around have that ability either.

M2theB and amateur cutter like this.
  7. Chud

Chud

it’s my understanding that you don’t have to recalibrate unless you have disassembled the saw. The dealer sets it prior to purchasing and you just choke and pull as normal starting procedure. I have 2 m tronics and start them like any other saw I’ve used minus a 150t that has a primer bulb.

amateur cutter and Lastmohecken like this.
  8. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Ok, Well heck, the dealer did start it before they gave it to me, but I didn't get to watch. I guess it was probably already calibrated good enough, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to re calibrate it after a few tanks. I think I will just run it then. And maybe do it every once in a while. I wonder if it re-calibrates itself anyway, as the air filter gets dirtier, different mix of gas, slightly, etc. or does it only re-adjust when you actually calibrate it?

farmer steve and amateur cutter like this.
  9. Chud

Chud

The function of mtronic is to adjust air fuel according to conditions ie elevation, temp, humidity, dirty filter.....

10. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Ok, so it is, pretty much a set it and forget it, deal, sounds like.

M2theB and amateur cutter like this.
  11. SAWMIKAZE

SAWMIKAZE

I never calibrated any of my 3.0 mtrons. Never had a reason to yet.

farmer steve likes this.
  12. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Ok, good to know.

SAWMIKAZE likes this.
  13. draftgear

draftgear

Been awhile since i've posted.....anyways, i have a 3/2017 manufactured 261c that is gen 2 261/261c. The question I have is would a guy want to "upgrade" the m-tronic module to v3.0?? Mind you, I have had 0 problems/issues with my 2017 261cm and i've used it quite a bit these last 2.5 yrs. Not every day, but alot. I am 100% satisfied. I did drill another hole in muffler next to the existing outlet after warranty was up. Little bit louder, maybe helped but no major change. No big deal. Anyway, I did own a 1st gen 261 and a 1st gen 261c that was ported. No complaints at all with these 2 either. I'm thinking if it's not broke dont fix it applies here. I havent even needed or tried to recalibrate my second gen 261c, just no need. Runs great. Am I overthinking this deal about v3.0 mtronic or is it worthwhile to try to change out the solenoid to v3??

14. draftgear

draftgear

Im not looking to buy a new saw, the v3.0 whatsoever btw. Just wondering if the new 3.0 module would be worth swapping in for the 2.0?

15. draftgear

draftgear

FWIW, I do think the gen 2 261/261c was/is a good upgrade from the original 261.

Chud likes this.
  16. JimBear

JimBear

If you aren’t having issues with them I wouldn’t mess with them.

If it ain’t broke...

huskihl and draftgear like this.
  17. draftgear

draftgear

Yup....thinking this is a non-issue. Move on and cut some darn wood!

JimBear likes this.
  18. Chud

Chud

The original 261 was a huge upgrade from the 260. I have the 3.0 and it’s a noticeable upgrade from the non m 261. The biggest difference imo is weight/handling.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  19. draftgear

draftgear

Yes, gen 1 261/261c is good, but the gen 2 261/261c better by a good margin....my question revolves around the mtronics ....the v2.0 versus v3.0. As stated I've had about 2.5 yrs of trouble free service now from my gen 2 261c. Very happy with it and cut up plenty of hardwood trees with it to burn. Couldn't see selling it or trying to "upgrade" in the 50cc class. Would love to add a 462c someday. I've had a 461 awhile ago and liked it. But sadly, had to send it down the road for the cash PLUS wasn't getting into any wood that required a 70+cc class saw. My opinion is if you're not needing to run a 24-25" or bigger bar consistently then its overkill I guess(if thats possible ha). BUT love all chainsaws in all sizes for sure!

Chud likes this.
  20. draftgear

draftgear

As far as I know, the 2nd gen and "3rd gen" are physically identical. Just updated mtronics....correct me if I'm wrong.

huskihl likes this.