In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Possible stove swap

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by The Wood Wolverine, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post

Thas right......

2. moresnow

moresnow

Impressive. Did you eventually burn that load down completely before reloading? Sounds like the overall performance is looking good.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I didn't let it go down much more than the picture. Since it was only 5:30ish, I put 2 pieces on to set myself up for an overnight pack @ about 10p.

CHeath I'd love to have an upstairs thermostat control the blower. Any chance you've done or seen that?

Horkn, CHeath and Maina like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

5. CHeath

CHeath

I have not. When my blower cuts off the pipe gets pretty warm quick. Say if I have the pipe at 500 degrees and the fan turns off it will go up really quick

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That would be a concern of mine too...unless the ductwork all has plenty of rise on the runs, and CTC.
    Personally, if I were going to do this, I would put a tee in the heat pipe before the gas (oil?) furnace, then a powered closed/spring open damper on the tee so that the thermostat upstairs, when satisfied, would open the damper, allowing (most of) the heat to dump to the basement...also, the spring would open it upon power fail too, again, allowing the heat to dump to the basement, rather than overheat the furnace and/or ductwork (that most of which likely does not have proper CTC for wood heating?) that can so easily happen during power fail, unless the whole system is intentionally designed to gravity heat. (the amish are really good at this BTW...you know...no power and all)

CHeath, The Wood Wolverine and Horkn like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I smell exactly what you are stepping in and agree. I think I'll pass on that idea for now.

Thanks much for all the advice and general edumacation on this project. I think it's the start of a great relationship. :thumbs: So far it's been aweesome. With heating the basement, I couldn't really keep the living space really warm on the coldest of days and now I think I'll have no problem doing that.:dennis:

CHeath and brenndatomu like this.