In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sad realization

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Donny Price

Donny Price

Another tribute to the mighty ash! Love getting these big ash trees!

IMG_0903.JPG

2. Warner

Warner

Yeah here in the Monadnock region we get snow when most others in so NH do not and higher accumulations when we all do.

Fun fact mount monadnock is the seccond most climbed mountain in the world to Mount Fuji. Apparently there are religious reasons for climbing Mt Fuji

3. Dumf

Dumf Banned

May even be religious reasons for walking up Monadnock . Didn't Thoreau find some spiritual bliss up there ?
    Haven't been there for many years since we passed onto Maine.
    Pretty part of the world there in N.H.

4. Warner

Warner

It can be nice at the top but you gotta do it when it’s not right for all the Joey bag a doughnuts in loafers. :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

5. Dumf

Dumf Banned

I know Joey. He's from Peterborough.:cool:

6. Maina

Maina

Harvesting White Ash Inner Bark for Basketry -
    White ash is used further north. Read this short article and the first comment and it will tell you how and why.

7. Trueg50

Trueg50

We have had some folks find EAB all around us so its only a matter of time. Walking the property with my young daughter and pointing out the different trees I realized that there is a good chance that when she grows up she will never know or see Ash trees. When I talked about EAB coming to the area with my father it reminded him of when he was a boy and he saw the stands of dead American Chestnut still lingering.

I'll take down the dying ash trees, but I'll leave them until EAB gets them just in case any turn out to have some kind of resistance (though extremely unlikely). The largest tree we have is a white ash, I thought I remember it being 8-9ft in circumference. It is right by a series of stone walls, old cellar hole, and an old 10ft tall man made dam so I'd love to know how old it is if it I ever have to take it down. With almost all of VT being clear cut for sheep farming it would be interesting to know how old the tree was and if it was around at that time (meaning it was probably left on purpose).

8. Rich L

Rich L

Let see what has China brought us over the years.Sheet rock laced with toxins.Lead in children's toys.Ash destroying insects.The virus and how in hell did America the bastion of democracy go into debt to China the largest communist country in the history of the world ?Just a short list with more to come in the future.

9. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Right Rich. The White Ash inner bark/cambium makes the thicker splints as your article shows for heavier, large baskets some used for back packs. Didn't know that.
    The local Amerindians here in Old Town, Maine use Brown Ash splints for very finely woven smaller baskets that are works of art and very
    expensive. Worth a ride out here to see their craft in Indian Island, Old Town, and at the Hudson Museum at UMaine, Orono.
    Neat article...thx.

10. Warner

Warner

image.jpg Here is my pack backed made of ash. I use it to carry my ice fishing gear.

11. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Penobscot basket art

[​IMG]

12. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Funny you mentioned saving some. I had the same thought not a week ago.

13. Dazza95

Dazza95

It is sad. We’re predicted to lose 80% of our ash trees in the UK; not because of the EAB but to ash dieback which is caused by a fungus which originated in Asia.

14. Maina

Maina

When I was a young man and up until recently you didn’t see as much of that type of basket being made in Maine. Most were for backpacking or fishing, and most of all, picking potatoes. I wore a few of those out myself. The Micmacs in northern Maine made them all from black ash. Same for many of the Passamaquoddy tribe in eastern Washington County. Both tribes worked the potato harvests. I have Passamaquoddy ancestors from Washington county and I was born there, but I mostly grew up in Aroostook County so that’s been my experience. I never had much contact with the Penobscot tribe although they’re usually the most visible because they live in a more urban setting closer to white people. They’ve always made more things for tourists.
    Every day is a good day to learn!

15. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Thx, I like your account.
    The Penobscot baskets are works of art. A basket can take months from tree to finish, and cost in the mid to high hundreds of $$$$.
    I can't tell how to separate Ash species: Black, Brown, White except that Brown Ash likes wet feet. A Penobscot once told me how, but my brain lost it. :emb::emb:

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It just made sense to me. If they become like the American Chestnut then just having a few pieces around will be something special. I have enough firewood on hand that the next time I come across some Ash logs, I might actually bring them to a friend of mine and mill some lumber out of them. Why not? Eventually the dead ones won't be worth harvesting anymore.

17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Good point. Last night I was watching a video about these guys in the U.K. that were plinking gray squirrels with air rifles because they're an invasive species there. Millions of them are overtaking the native Red Squirrels. I guess years ago people didn't give it much thought bringing plants and animals across oceans to colonize new lands.

18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

In Donny from OK Ash butt ends you can see rot in both heart and sapwood.
    Once the wood begins to pooch, the BTUs are gone. Not much firewood value in wood that's punky.
    A turner friend in Deer Isle does turn punky and partially rottd wood for bowls and such since he likes the contrast.

19. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Another realization: I want to take a road trip with my kids this summer to northern New England to see (and most importantly PHOTOGRAPH) living Ash trees before they're gone. I know there are certain places that the beetle hasn't reached yet, although it's knocking on the door. We're witnessing an extinction event here, just as people a hundred years ago did with the American Chestnut. I want my kids to see these trees and to preserve them in digital photographs. Strange as it might sound, I don't even want to burn them as firewood anymore. I'd rather keep a pile of dead Ash logs stashed away to use for lumber when I'm in my old age. That way, at least part of these trees can live on...

brenndatomu, Stumpy75, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  20. Midwinter

Midwinter

This ash is at our friends house in 2018. It is one of the biggest in NH. Don't know how it's doing currently. IMG_20180902_56295.jpg