In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sad realization

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Interesting how one has no damage. I'm no arborist but the thought that comes to my mind is you might have one that's EAB resistant, in which case the last thing you want to do is cut it down. Is the one without woodpecker damage still pushing out leaves in the growing season?

3. Warner

Warner

CAF5D7DC-6D5D-4568-BFB2-3BCA37B63728.jpeg When I saw this guy an one of my rounds this summer I knew the end was near.

4. oldspark

oldspark

A lot of the hard hit areas around here were parks were the morons brought firewood in.

5. Warner

Warner

Yeah, they all have been producing normal foliage. I’ll take a pic tomorrow the three trees are kinda a cluster f.

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Seems to me they can go a couple years infested, then the canopy starts dying back, then once you start seeing new shoots popping out at the base of the trunk you know that's the tree's last gasp at life. All the while the woodpeckers go nuts trying to get at the larvae inside. Too many larvae and not enough woodpeckers out there. I can't remember the last time I saw one in my area that still had a healthy canopy.

7. Horkn

Horkn

8. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I guess I have been pretty lucky. We have quite a few Ash trees here and they have all seemed healthy. You know....until an ice storm wreaks havoc on them.

9. jrider

jrider

Don't worry, they have plenty of invasive species from here...the product of world trade and a major cause of loss of biodiversity around the planet

10. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

This made me so happy. I think a lot of us on here think the same. Not silly at all.

11. Maina

Maina

EAB in Maine is just beginning and it’s been watched closely and dreaded for a long time. We have a lot of white ash and a thriving basket making industry that could just go away completely. Native American people have been making baskets of all shapes and sizes for hundreds of years from ash. It’s a devastating loss for them. It’s one of their better sources of income.

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

I don't know if I mentioned this years ago or not, so here goes.

As soon a local logger had found out about the EAB (years ago) he harvested ash from his lands. This was before the EAB affected market prices; I heard he did quite well.

13. moresnow

moresnow

Good buss. sense. right there!

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think i scrounged some ash from the dump last year that had no sign of EAB. Its unusual for me to scrounge ash with tight bark let alone living. I did see some with leaves on them this year. Some with the sprouts coming out of the trunk. Most were dead skeletons. A couple in my woods to come down.
    I like the ash tribute chopping block! :yes:

15. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Downeast and in the county northern Maine haven't had EAB YET. It's coming. The traps are out hanging on trees.
    Basket makers use Brown Ash which needs wet feet for growth. White ash starts to rot fast with the takeover of spruce and fir along coastal woodlands.
    Very difficult to tell White from Brown Ash: bark, leaves, smell, location. The basket makers here know.
    I fell only solid, non rotten trees ( Paper Birch, Red Maple, some White Ash ), except for the rare standing dead oaks in our woodlot.
    It's the T.S.I. done following the Management Plan. Simply like managing a garden but on a 60a.
    woodlot. Diseased and rotten trees are saved for wildlife, not great for firewood anyhow.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  16. ThomH123

ThomH123

Something I've always wondered, I would think some federal or local agency has seeds from ash trees and other trees/plants preserved to continue the species.

17. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I checked with Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah IA and they seem to mostly have veggie plants and flowers. However, I do have a few Ash trees in my yard that I might just start saving the seed from. Our county has not had EAB yet.

18. farmer steve

farmer steve

I had let these 2 go because they were still green and producing seed. The bigger one had just a tad of dead wood where it snapped off and took the smaller one out. I have a small grove of young trees that seem to be doing ok and no sign of EAB on them.
    20201116_094522.jpg

19. Warner

Warner

398E1AE5-6D60-4897-B41D-2E53F77E9702.jpeg So here are the two trees one completely infested the other not so much.
    and the third about 6 feet away. E8335BAE-3D39-4E49-B540-3FE0F3273ABE.jpeg

20. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Nice pics Warner. Snow too !
    Older Ashes in mixed woods also have lower trunk rot which makes them possible prey for EAB. Hasn't hit here yet as said.
    Most of my Ashes here are over shadowed by spruce and fir growth; some starting to rot down low.