In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Small, round, limb firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Do you stack small limb cuts, round shape, all together in a section of the stack or its own stack or do you mix them in with non-round splits in the stack?

Also, if you sell, do you sell small round limb pieces? Do you consider them just as good as a split?

How much longer (if any) do you think it takes to season these non-split pieces?

What do you call a round piece of firewood? Piece? Stick? A cut? (It isn't a split because it's not split!)

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I dont harvest much in the way of limb wood. If i do harvest a tree ill take down to 3" diameter. Ill mix the "skinnies" in the with the splits when i stack. I have on occasion had a separate stack for skinnies. One customer liked the fact i gave him some in with the half cord i sold him. I split anything over 4".
    Years back we'd harvest down to 2" and it always got mixed in with splits.
    Not sure of the extra seasoning time, but they will sizzle on the ends when burned.

3. moresnow

moresnow

If I am keeping small rounds I prefer to put them on top of the stack. Many times I "crack" these rounds as I split to open them for drying but keep them easy to stack. Burning a bunch this year. Working out perfect.

4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I mix them in my main stacks. They make nice stove fillers for full overnight loads on those sub zero nights.

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

I'll cut down to about wrist size. Maybe a little smaller if it's hickory or locust.:) I mix some in with my selling wood. I like bigger rounds for overniters.

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Being a full time scrounger, I try not to waste anything and cut down to about the 2" mark. I mix the 'skinnies' in with the rest of the stack but factor in extra seasoning time. I remember one year where scrounging was poor and I ended up with almost a cord of skinnies. PITA to cut all the small stuff and no, they don't burn as long, but they do burn and put out BTUs and I was glad to have them. I don't sell so can't comment on that.

7. rainking63

rainking63

I tend to hide the round ones behind the splits; i.e. in two parallel rows I will stack the round pieces in the rear stack where I can't see them. It's more pleasing to me that way, beer in hand, surveying my stacks. This year I haven't split any round pieces that were about 5" and under, but in years past I have split the small stuff into kindling.

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My small rounds get treated just like a split, all get mixed together.

9. Jon_E

Jon_E

I cut down to about 2" or so on good high-BTU hardwoods. Otherwise it stays in the woods. It all gets mixed into the pile. Anything larger than 4" or so gets at least one split, and I find the smaller stuff burns just as well as the splits.

10. Horkn

Horkn

Same here.

The gnarly stuff whether big or 2-3" gets saved for fire pit use

11. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I have several large Aspen that are dead standing and the weather is dismantling them piece by piece. It's not the greatest firewood, but its bone dry, so I get as much as I can and stack it as it becomes available. Much of the time it ends up on top of the splits, but I have no qualms about mixing it in since its still wood. I generally save anything over 2 to 3 inches and like to think of it as a stack boost since I don't have to spend time and energy splitting it.
    Having said all of that, I usually only save the smaller stuff if its fairly straight (not a pain to stack) and if there isn't a ton of little twigs to deal with. I have some Ash that had some limbs come down and I save a few pieces from it, but there are a ton of twigs and gnarly bends, so I will probably just brush pile it or maybe use it for kindling in the fire pit once its dry.

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It all gets stacked together. When I did sell, They got a mix and nobody complained.

It doesn't seem to take any longer when they are small, but here we try our best to stay on the 3 year plan so it is bound to be dry.

We call it wood.

13. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I burn a bunch of small rounds in the stove. Bigger stuff goes to my brother's boiler.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

14. Bill2

Bill2

I also just mix it in the stack as I go along. I cut down to 2-3 ", I don't sell so I have no comment on that.

15. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I save it all down to about 2-3” diameter.
    Uglies, shorts, and skinnies go in my shop stove while the pretty stuff goes into the stack and shed for the Lopi Leyden in the front room.
    I split all to about 4” but keep a few “all nighters” splits or rounds at 6-8” to carry through the cold nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I take it all down to about 2" or so. When I have a tree to deal with, you have the trunk and top. I can't imagine leaving the whole top (limb wood). Nice thing about limb wood is most of it doesn't need to be split. It all goes in my stacks and dries just fine along with the splits. I don't sell much wood, so can't speak to that aspect, although I'm sure that's an issue.

I use the little rounds in the morning to get the fire going and also when starting a fire... Not my favorite firewood pieces, but no way am I leaving that much wood in the woods to rot... Basically I throw a bunch in the fire when I need quick heat and then I feel good about getting rid of it and heating my house.

image.jpeg

17. Maina

Maina

I mix it in, it all burns fine long as it’s dry. I mix a little softwood in also to burn coals down with.

18. JustWood

JustWood Guest

When I burned a normal stove I would mix it in the pile . Great stuff to fill in cracks for a FULL load

19. JPDavis

JPDavis

I've always harvested everything I could from a good tree, down to around 3 inches in diameter.

20. Dstrick

Dstrick

Mixed in. Douglas fir. About 110 ft3 per row@16”. More if long.
    1AE8B1FD-42EC-4D81-B309-64A3BC9676A3.jpeg V