In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Saw, MS 261CM, CAD might have gotten me, but happy

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

That's 3 saws for me now. I hope I am cured.
    I sort of saw the need for a smaller lighter saw then the MS 362 and the Jonesred 2255, for what I am calling my walking saw. I have a bunch of clearing and trimming and building of trails, I want to do in the woods where I hunt. I was considering even the little 170, or more then likely an MS 250, but the sale is over apparently on the 250's and they are $50 higher now locally. But it really wasn't about the money. Everything I read on here, pointed in a way, to the MS 261 and I went up to my closest dealership, pretty much cocked and loaded for a MS 250, but they were out and they didn't have an MS 261 either, everyone seems to have them on back order.

But I found the MS 261 CM at another dealer so I jumped on it.

It's supper time, I will have to finish this later.

Spencer, Chud, T.Jeff Veal and 4 others like this.
  2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

So you’re going to go buy a 250 after supper???

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

No :)
    I think I am done buying saws now, famous last words!

Anyway, the price was about $559.00 with an 18" bar. But I wanted a 20" bar. So, for really only very few dollars more, they swapped it out to a 20". I stayed with the Green, semi-chisel, low kickback chain on this saw because it will be used in tight and compromised positions sometimes, and dirty wood, etc. And I bought the oil mix for the extra year warranty. They even filled it up with gas and oil and test started it for me.

I got home about an hour before dark. Grabbed my rifle and saw and went deer hunting. I decided to give up on the deer hunting and try the new saw out, with about 10 minutes of daylight left. I just couldn't let it go, until tomorrow. It started on about 3 cranks, maybe four. I let it warm up a little bit and tore into a big cedar tree, I wanted gone. I did a bunch of limbing first just to get to the trunk, It was kind of a awkward situation, but I was able to cut it and fall it right where I aimed it. All I can say is Man! This little saw can cut! I cut a lot of small branches, and did some bucking of the trunk. I was careful, but I soon developed a lot of confidence in the low kickback qualities of that thin green chain. I am glad I got that 20 inch bar, too over the shorter bar. I just like a long bar for reach.

I compared it to the MS 250 and I couldn't tell really any difference in weight. Scales might have told a different story, but there is not a nickel's worth of difference in weight as far as I am concerned.

And this thing runs great, I mean really great! No buyer's remorse here.

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I did have a small issue with the flippy cap on the oil, at first, when I decided to check it, to see how much the dealer put in there. And I couldn't get it locked back on there, at first and struggled with it for a couple of minutes. I finally got it back on and went on. I was a little worried about that flippy cap, but when I got back to the shop, I turned the saw around the opposite way, removed the cap again and it seems fine now. Maybe there was bur or something or I was just excited and wasn't doing it right, but I had never had that problem with my 372. Anyway, all's fine, I recon.

I had read on here that some people had issues with the flippy caps on the Stihls, but the main problem I have experienced is getting them clean before refilling the saw, and I keep a rag or paper towel to carefully wipe the threads when refilling fuel and oil.

All and all, though, this seems to be a great little saw.

5. tamarack

tamarack

So you got you a 261 and a 362? Nice saws, I notice the 261 is very popular with the FHC crowd. Stay away from those stihl dealers because you will just have to have a 462, 500I or maybe even a 661. Do you need it? Maybe not, but that don't change the fact that you will end up with a 70cc or bigger saw!

6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Nope, just getting started, went to the 3 saw plan a few years & about 10 saws ago. I think I have 13 runners in the stable right now. Looking for my next fix too. It's too late for you, just give in & admit it.:D
    MS 261 is a great saw btw.

7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I know, I was looking at a 462 today. A 462 with a 28" bar would trip my trigger, but not this year for sure.

8. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Collecting saws could get addictive, that's for sure. Probably more addictive if you are good at working on them, rebuilding them, modifying them, etc.

9. farmer steve

farmer steve

You got yourself a good saw. It will really wake up after 8-10 tanks of fuel. PLEASE do not be fooled by the "low kickback" designation on the green label chain. Kickback can happen with any chain. Good luck with the new saw.

Lastmohecken and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, you got a great saw. Now for the next bigger saw...grab you a 461 while they are still available, rugged, no nonsense saw. Plain carb. 32" bar...
    Add a dual port muffler for $25, really wakes it up.

We just really want to help you with your CAD...
    :handshake:

11. Yawner

Yawner

Jeff, where can one get a dual port muffler for $25?

T.Jeff Veal and farmer steve like this.
  12. Dumf

Dumf Banned

My 6 Y.O. 261 runs perfect with just a carb and filter cleaning and plugs. Good choice.
    For me with age and old injuries, a 16" has been perfect. 20" on a 261 was overkill.
    The flippy caps will get "off" sometimes when taking them off. Before replacing, you may have to 'turn' them back to the unlocked position.
    Not a big deal. Be sure that the black lines on the two parts are aligned in the locked position when closed. Simple. Ingenious.
    The whines about the flippys are "vox clamantus en desierto" (voices crying in the wilderness).:hair:
    And "safety chains" are a waste -- PITA--for anyone experienced ( go Stihl yellow for faster, easier cuts ).

Spencer, T.Jeff Veal and Chud like this.
  13. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I do wish I could find one of those, lightly used, with maybe a 28" bar. Someday maybe, but hard to justify.

Spencer and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

15. Spencer

Spencer

I love my 261CM and its my go to saw for bucking stuff under 18". I actually switched it over to 3/8 pitch to match my 361 and 441.

Not a big following here for the 441CM but i like that saw.

T.Jeff Veal and tamarack like this.
  16. Chud

Chud

The 441 cuts great, but I never got along with the starting procedure. Since new, the one I use at work takes forever to warm up, so I more often reach for the 460.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.