In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sad realization

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I’m home feeding the stove with Ash today. I have a general idea whenever I pick up a particular piece of when and where I got it. When I brought this one in the house this morning I quickly realized it came from a tree that wasn’t infected with EAB. From what I’ve read, EAB was first detected in my state in 2012. This will be the last year I’m burning Ash that’s not infected. Eventually the day will come where I’ll be burning my last piece of Ash period. Sad thought. I may save a small stack just to hang onto indefinitely.

9C2EB68E-1765-4E51-9BF2-CD23F8A7C3FF.jpeg

2. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Yep. Ash used to be really easy to find here too. When the EAB infestation was at its peak, I was up to my ears in Ash firewood. Now it’s getting pretty rare. The EAB has pretty much wiped out all of the Colorado Ash. If you go to Washington Park or Capital Hill in Denver, the only ash you’ll find is giant, ground level stumps.

3. Horkn

Horkn

We're in the state of ash that there's more than you can harvest. At least I'm in a good time to collect for the 3 year plan.

It will be a sad day when ash isn't an option.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sad but the ash is pretty well gone here. Its been 2 or 3 years now since we've cut any. There are still some in our woods but too far gone to be worth the effort to cut any more. A sad time for sure. We had hundreds of good ash at the turn of the century; practically none now.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Thank you China

:picard:

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We still have quite a few White Ash here. I love them, they grow pretty fast for a decent btu tree, they grow quite straight, it splits easily and dries quick! Now that’s a tree to admire. :thumbs:

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It's crazy how that beetle spreads. From where it started in Michigan 20+/- years ago it went every which way. I would think you being west of me would have been hit long before us in Connecticut but I guess not. It could be that one jerk 10 years ago trucked in a load of infested firewood from further out west, went across the Hudson River and it took off from there. I know certain spots in Massachusetts and beyond still have viable Ash trees. Only a matter of time before the landscape everywhere is stripped of them.

8. oldspark

oldspark

Plenty of Ash here but we are spread out so its taking its time. I quit bring Ash home a few years ago, i have a lot on my property. Gonna be a sad day if i get it.

9. Donny Price

Donny Price

Ive got about 10 cords of ash to CSS coming up in the next few weeks. When I went to pick up a small amount of ash from a man down the road last Saturday afternoon we got to visiting about how he used to love to cut his own firewood and just isnt able to do so any more. After our conversation he tells me to load up in his side by side and go for a ride. Upon our adventure into the timber he starts pointing at all the dead standing ash on this property... well long story short I now have all this ash promised to me. For his generosity I told him I would CSS him a cord that would be perfect for next year. Cant wait to get into that timber!!!

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

There you go, win-win for the both of you. I'm going after as much of it as I can right now, before they become too far gone to be worth it.

11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Funny, I do the same in remembering pieces being c/s/s.
    Most of our ash is at the dangerous point, almost gone.

12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Here is my Ash tribute. I’ve had this big ash log for several years. I use it as my kindling chopping block. I really should split it up and get some amazing heat out of it. Lord knows it’s better than most of the stuff that I typically burn. But I can’t bear to part with it. It’s kind of like an old friend. I’ve rested many a cold beer on that log while I’m splitting and stacking. Silly I know. 538CCA66-8EFC-468A-9743-B2E4191920E2.jpeg

13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I get it 100%... it's not silly at all either :) Sentimental value on top of being an endangered species. That round has earned its keep and you'd do well by it keeping it around for the long haul.

14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Doesn’t sound silly to me

15. Donny Price

Donny Price

This is the small amount of ash that I was able to collect Saturday. Not alot. Maybe a facecord or a little over.

IMG_2576.JPG

16. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

There are still some Ash around here. My SIL has a big one next to where I processed the giant Oak. The pictures don't really do it justice. This Ash is easily 3.5'-4' across

[​IMG]

This is the one I got from a few miles down the road that blew over in a storm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. iowahiker

iowahiker

18. Warner

Warner

I have three white ashes at the edge of my wood line fairly close to one another. 2 are completely pockmarked from the wood peckers the third shows no signs of damage at all. Kinda strange but I’ll bet they will all be firewood soon. The other side of the yard there is a smaller ash that fell down and is mostly rotted, a chunk of it is hanging in the canopy and has had leaves on branches without the stem being attached to the ground. Ash is an interesting tree.

19. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Wood peckers is not a good sign.

20. Warner

Warner

I’ll have to get a pic . It’s pretty crazy the amount of damage they have done. Looks like the trees have been blasted with bird shot.