In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Explain Muffler Mods for MS362, Good Idea, Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 13, 2020.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

If you REALLY want to wake that ms362 up, just send it to huskihl and let him do his magic to it. It comes back with xtra sausage under the cover and a nice sticker on the cover. He added a port on the muffler too. IMG_20190705_213041181.jpg IMG_20190705_213058577.jpg

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Take your saw to work day, huh T.Jeff Veal ?
    Good thing you don't work in the post office, might raise an eyebrow or two walking across the parking lot with that! :rofl: :lol:
    [​IMG]

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That might be my living room...:p:p...
    There is one good thing about night shift:whistle::whistle::zip::zip:

Spencer, metalcuttr, MAF143 and 2 others like this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

One of the easiest muff mods is gills. Just need to slot the metal with a dremel cut-off wheel and bend. Then hi-temp paint. Multiples or singles will work.

Helps to use something on the other side to prevent it from being pushed in. Here its a file.
    DSC00564.JPG
    DSC00565.JPG DSC00566.JPG
    DSC07748.JPG
    DSC07760.JPG

5. Horkn

Horkn

Some saws are fairly quiet stock. Stihls are. Now what I think is funny is that my dolkita 6421 it's loud AF compared to my 029s and my buddy's 460 mag. All are stock mufflers. The dolkita actually has a cat in the muffler still. Guys regularly cut/ pry the cat out of these and they'll get even louder. My buddy was very impressed with my 6421 compared to his larger displacement Stihl, but he wasn't thrilled with the noise.:rolleyes:. I personally wear a forestry helmet with built in ear protection, so this doesn't bother me.

I'll see how the makita 6100 that my other buddy just bought sounds in comparison.

Someday I'll probably send my 6421 across late michigan to get some extra sausage.

T.Jeff Veal, Ron T, Fifelaker and 3 others like this.
  6. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

So, it seems like there is no hard fast rule on muffler mods. Some are obviously better done (more refined) then others but basically I see everyone opening things up some, adding deflectors, and re-tuning the saw. It cuts down on back pressure some, and most people will rich up the high speed jet, pretty much same theory as adding louder mufflers on a Harley. You get a little more power and noise.

7. huskihl

huskihl

You do need to re-tune after a mod, but it’s not always richer. Depends on the circuitry in the carb. The faster moving air through through the venturi pulls more fuel through the main nozzle and may actually be enough to offset the muffler mod. It’s always a good idea to get rid of the h and l limiters on the carb anyway

T.Jeff Veal, MAF143, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have a 260 pro, a 391 and a 362 all Stihl. I have occasionally had the stray thought of moding the 260 or 391 0r both. Not radically but to gain a bit more power. I know very little about muffler mods. I do know that the National Forest Rangers in the Gifford Pinchot NF are absolute death on any mod that defeats or alters spark arresters. Are there any mods that don't impact this feature?

T.Jeff Veal, MAF143, Spencer and 2 others like this.
  9. huskihl

huskihl

The USFS acceptable size mesh can’t have an opening larger than .023”. Not certain if they’d say anything about extra deflectors with this size mesh under them

10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

All the muffler mods that I have shown pictures of still have the legal spark arrestors in them. I cut every year on national forest land and by law I have to have those spark arrestors in place.

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal and MAF143 like this.
  11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I be like Marcel walking up to the beer joint.

metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.