In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Home Depot Pellet Ordering

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Skier76, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Skier76

Skier76

Found out something interesting when ordering pellets last week. I went to a store that's close to me that usually has a very good supply of pellets (South Southington). They had lots of Chow and a good amount of Green Supreme. I went in, ordered three tons and requested Chow. When the person was ringing me out, they noted based on my address, the pellets would be picked up at another store and then delivered. Hmmmm?

So I guess no matter where you order, you're subject to the stock they have at the store. I guess this explains last year, when I ordered from the same store, Green Supremes showed up vs the FSU's I had requested.

Not sure if this is new or has always happened and in the past, the delivery store had the inventory I had requested.

The driver was cool. He called me early when he was loading up the truck to let me know they did not have Chows.

I've got three tons of Supreme's stacked in the garage. And since I'll probably working from home over the winter, at least I'll have more opportunities to clean the stove. ; )

Russell, PelletHound, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Which flavor of the GS did they deliver?

jtakeman, Russell, Rich250 and 3 others like this.
  3. subsailor

subsailor

I'll be surprised if they aren't the Northeastern Blend.

jtakeman, Russell, Rich250 and 4 others like this.
  4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Me too but I was hoping for the best lol

jtakeman, Russell, subsailor and 4 others like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

The one and only time I ordered pellets form HD they told me I couldn't pick my pellets. I took a chance and that is how I ended up with a couple of tons of ThermaGlos (hands down the WORST pellet I have ever burned for heat and ash). That despite I had never seen that pellet in any of the stores around - always FSU's.

Must say I was up at the Capital City HD last weekend and saw Lignetics - but those were nearly $7/bag (versus FSU's at $5.50/bag). Don't need pellets - I'm just always curious and take a look.

6. Skier76

Skier76

Believe it or not, it's Allegheny Mountain Hardwood. Some of the bags have a mix of dark and light pellets. Anyone know where the bags codes are on these? I don't see them on the clear top strip like they used to be.

Barcode comes up with their headquarters; Lignetics, Boulder Road, Louisville, CO.

wildwest, jtakeman, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I dont know what to say, or even comment, so I will anyways.....:D

/begin rant

Crapshoot, I guess with the BB's.....I know we cant get away with someone ordering, and paying for one item, and doing the ole "bait and switch" upon delivery. I am constantly amazed at the latitude given the BB's in these instances. Yet, we have to be price competitive.

Pellet stoves? Oh, they don't need to know anything, much less supply parts......because, well, they are a BB! Can you guys come out and look at, and fix, or install, a stove bought at the BB's and at the height of the season? No?! You're an a-hole and now we wont do business with you...ever......

/end rant

Be safe, everyone!

8. Tullytown

Tullytown

well said...
    never understood why you would by a pellet stove at a BBS..price maybe?
    Although i have been a seasoned burner for 8 yrs, who knows what i was thinking back then..
    prob someone i knew mention Harman pellet stoves we're a safe buy and then i found this board and spent few weeks reading hundreds of posts concerning Harmans [ and pellets] before i took the plunge....

bogieb and Russell like this.
  9. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Those should be from the old Allegheny Wood Pellet plant in PA that Ligs acquired. I always had a higher ash volume with those but seemed to burn well.

[​IMG]

10. Skier76

Skier76

I shall keep you posted! I've burned Supreme's in the past; but can't recall if they were this blend or not. I should do some digging and search for my old threads in here.

I'll get a few pics of the bags/pellets and post them here.

Regarding the bait and switch... I have to give them a pass there. They were up front about where the delivery would come from and the effect that may have on the inventory: Opportunity 1 for me to back out. The driver called me and told me they didn't have Chows: Opportunity 2 for me to back out.

11. Rich250

Rich250

jtakeman, Skier76, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Sure, sure.....a couple of opportunities to back out.....but dont you feel your feet are a a bit being held to the fire here? Its cold this morning, gonna get colder. How long will I have to wait to get pellets from another supplier? Aw, heck, send me what ya gots! You get a pass because youre a BB.....etc.

Cant imagine selling someone pellets, telling them at point of sale that, well, I wasnt sure what I was gonna send them......then the driver does the same thing on the eve of delivery. Sure, you could have opted out, but when its cold, will you?

Husky Man and bogieb like this.
  13. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Me either..
    But then, I'm prejudiced..
    We sell North Country for $259.
    I would go the extra few bucks over GS or Chow, any day of the week..
    3 miles away from Lowes 5 from Home Depot.
    $19 delivery in the summer.

Dan

14. rjdb

rjdb

Is it really worth paying the delivery charge though?

Lousyweather likes this.
  15. Tullytown

Tullytown

I buy top of the line softies exclusive from my Pellet dealer....[eliminates bait/switch..
    stopped getting BBS pellets long go due to 99% of stock are ashy hardwoods...
    not knocking chows, supremes, 'Liggies offsprings' and the usual fare they sell as they all pretty much give decent heat and it keeps the stores pricepoint down.
    i get it....but i prefer good softies and will pay 10-15 dollars more delivery charge than the box stores charge PLUS i know exactly what i am getting~~
    if HD or Wally world sold the top stuff for 20-25 dollars more a ton i would be there of course. but to keep the price around 259.00 ton average here in the Eastern seaboard
    that will never happen. cheap price usually equals cheaper pellets [unless it's a big sale of sorts] and don't think anyone could not heat there homes with them or they would not sell..

Lousyweather and Pete Zahria like this.
  16. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

actually a good question......should you pick up, or have it delivered? I assume there is a delivery charge. I'm sure there's a retailer somewhere who offers free delivery. Anymore though, and you're likely to have to pay for delivery, given the small margin in pellets, and what the associated costs are with delivery, its not realistic to offer free delivery. (This should aggravate the ire or the "delivery is simply a cost of doing bidness" crowd....fire away)
    If you want it fast, and assured of what you're getting, pick them up.

bogieb and Pete Zahria like this.
  17. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

For sure.

bogieb likes this.