In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My favorite neighbor

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by In the Pines, Nov 8, 2020.

1. In the Pines

In the Pines

Guy just caught the woods on fire behind his place and mine because he was burning leaves and wasn't monitoring it at all. Not too mention he lit the piles on fire right on the wood line..
    I come outside and see the ground cover on fire in my back 40 creeping up on a stack of wood..
    Not cool, grab the rake and run out to start putting it out.
    He calls the FD, by time they show up I have almost 3/4 of it knocked down except for where it started climbing some small standing dead trees.
    Best part, FD yells at me to stop doing what I'm doing because I'm going to spread it with my rake..
    LOL really? you don't notice the ring? where I stopped it at from me and my rake?
    Someone donate me someplace to live 100 miles from anyone please..

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Common Sense ain’t so common no more..:headbang::headbang:

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

so fricking true... :headbang:

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got a Pile waiting to burn. But every time I have time.... it’s either too windy and/or too dry...

5. In the Pines

In the Pines

ground is soaked here thankfully in this case, but the leaf clutter is dry and it went right up, it burned a huge radius by time I saw it and reacted.
    As I mentioned, some 3-4" diameter standing dead was going up when I got there, Mainly the bark that was hanging off it. So I batted that off and pushed it into the already burnt
    area. Scraped some dirt on top and it stopped that, but the tree was still smoldering and needed water.
    I was on my way to start sweeping the chimney but now I'm out of breath and letting the sweat let up haha. Quite out of shape to deal with that scenario..
    I'm wondering if they are going to knick him, there is a burn ban from 6 am to 6pm right now thru april or march.

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We had a fire in a clothes dryer at work. A couple of us carried it outside and kept the door shut. The fire department showed up and yelled at us for moving the dryer outside, I forgot why.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Several of Colorado's worst wildfires were caused from dumbasses burning when it's too dry, and/or stiff breeze/windy.

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

In the Pines you done good putting it almost completely out!

I'm sure the fireman who blurted out such a statement was only exercising what he thought was control over another human. :picard:

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Most seem to be rather lacking in common sense. I remember once a neighbor started a grass fire. I saw it and went running over. Another neighbor called fire dept. A small building (cover over well pit) caught fire too. I had put out most of the fire then they helped finish the job. Someone mentioned all that was left was that little building. I told them it would be easy because they could drive the truck right to it. That started a lesson... Could not do that else they'd never get the truck out. I asked why. Guy took the heel of his boot and made a mark. "See how soft that is? I'g get stuck really fast." Hum... The ground is sand and is dry and also has some sod.

I told him to go ahead and carry the equipment over instead of making it easy. Also told him he no doubt knew more about putting out fires than I did but that he doesn't know squat about dirt.