In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood ID Please

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Nov 5, 2020.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Got this at the local dump this morning.

My guess is below so if you don't want to read it, don't! :D

####################
    I initially thought it might be cherry based on the two toned end grain but the bark ain't right and after splitting it, it smells like maple, that faint sweet herby smell, and the grain looks and feels like maple.....I was originally going to guess silver maple...but this wood is hard as heck and split accordingly...so I'm going with sugar maple.
    ####################

Danke. On a side note just look at all this wood just rotting away at the local dump. Man if I wasn't so tired I'd go back and take some more today.

2020-11-05 07.57.34.jpg 2020-11-05 07.57.35.jpg 2020-11-05 07.57.37.jpg 2020-11-05 07.57.38.jpg 2020-11-05 08.17.06.jpg 2020-11-05 08.28.05.jpg 2020-11-05 08.28.11.jpg 2020-11-05 08.28.16.jpg

buZZsaw BRAD, Bluelou, Chud and 3 others like this.
  2. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I'm thinking your right about the maple. It looks really familiar and I usually run into Ash and Maple (and Mulberry, but that would be yellow).

Edit, the lower pics look different though. Not sure what that is. I'm admittedly not great with wood ID anymore. I guess I should refrain from posting then. Ok, fine, I'll see myself out.....

3. jrider

jrider

I’d say Sugar maple

farmer steve and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  4. that is definitely hard maple aka sugar maple

5. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Danke for the replies. I should go back and get some more. :D

farmer steve and Sinngetreu like this.
  6. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Since you dont live near me I would say you definately should go get more. If you lived in my neighborhood I would offer to help :saw:. LOL

7. blujacket

blujacket

Was fortunate to get some Sugar a few years ago. That's some of the best firewood I've ever had. That stuff is awesome. Heavy stuff too! Think I got a hernia moving them big rounds around.

Slocum, LordOfTheFlies and Sinngetreu like this.
  8. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah light it certainly isn't!!

9. Buck55

Buck55

I concur that it looks like sugar maple. I love sugar maple. I got about 10 face cords of it late this past summer. It's all split and stacked now and will be perfect for 2021-22. In my opinion it is also is one of the best smelling when it burns.

Slocum, LordOfTheFlies and Sinngetreu like this.
  10. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I love the smell of it when I split it. LOVE it!

11. Bluelou

Bluelou

In the first two pitchers I see sugar maple / ash and I also think there is some elm in that pile. I’d be going back for more if you have the time.

Slocum and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  12. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Hit that dump as much as possible. I used to go to mine before the higher up there told me I technically couldn’t do that.

LordOfTheFlies and Sinngetreu like this.
  13. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah I ain't touching that elm........And it's sitting in a pool of yucky water so double no thanks. :D

Yeah I text the head foreman of the DPW......always ask for permission to go and he knows I take stuff. This time around I didn't need to buck anything as it was all cut to size already. There is just a plethora of stuff they are throwing away and it's a shame.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sugar maple. Love me some sugar maple. Straight grained splits easily. Scrounged a lot in the last year. My dump looks the same and i only scrounge if i have time and the wood is quality. Usually lots of softwoods and muddy too. Lots of random length crap there too. I go maybe every 2-3 months with our recycling or if i do a tree job/brush hauling. Last time i needed room in the PU after so didnt grab any wood.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    LordOfTheFlies and Slocum like this.
  15. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

There's one piece of white oak in the load...but I can't even tell which one it is. In fact, I think it's a piece of white oak that I threw into the dump....and then decided it was too nice to leave....it wasn't a big round, maybe 5-6" in diameter and if I had to guess I'd say it's that piece near the cab.....But I've since split all the wood so I can't even tell anymore lmfao.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My original unedited reply had white oak in it. White oak smells like whiskey.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  17. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Yeah I must have quoted your post right after you edited it because I saw that you had white oak in that post.......except it was only 1 piece! hahaha.

I love the smell of white oak - the tree that snapped on me is a white oak....So I had me plenty of good whiffs yesterday!