In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Echo CS 490 and 501 compatibility

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dwight_Spaulding, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Dwight_Spaulding

Dwight_Spaulding

After getting my CS 490 and not liking the plastic front handle (my ONLY complaint), I did some research and came to the conclusion that a lot of parts are cross compatible between the 490 and 501. I saw that the screws and shape matched for the front handles and ordered a new CS 501 metal front handle.
    It arrived today and is a perfect fit. Now I'm wondering what else is....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tamarack, Loon, dingbat and 3 others like this.
  2. fox9988

fox9988

From the net:
    "The 490/500 are basically the same saw except the metal wrap handle. The 501 is the newest version. And it has an upgraded P&C. It’s much nicer for porting. It has solid transfer tunnels instead of bolt on tunnel plates."

"Other than the 20% increase in power. The other big difference is the decomp button and the standard starter, which makes the 501P lighter and slimmer."

"Echo shows the 490 starter as "spring assist".
    501P says "standard". I figure this is why the 490 is listed with a slightly higher weight."

Loon, dingbat and Maina like this.
  3. dingbat

dingbat

Where are you finding this? Echo lists the dry weight as 10.6 pounds for both saws. Also, a 20% increase in power for the same displacement seems a fuzz on the unbelievable side unless there are some major differences in the intake, motor, and exhaust.

Loon likes this.
  4. Dwight_Spaulding

Dwight_Spaulding

I'm sure the 490 doesn't need the primer/decompression bulb, but how hard would it be to add? And would there really be any benefit?

5. fox9988

fox9988

From Aboristsite

dingbat likes this.
  6. dingbat

dingbat

Ok, so what I could find over there from people who have actually had the saw in their possession, the two saws have some shared parts, but they have different carbs, cylinders, pistons, cranks, mufflers, coils, and starters so basically a completely different saw which makes more sense if that 17-20% increase in power is true.
    Thanks.

7. OldJack

OldJack

Open vs. closed port cylinder? That's the 18% difference between a Dolmar 510 and a 5105 (3.3 hp and 3.9 hp).

dingbat likes this.
  8. Dwight_Spaulding

Dwight_Spaulding

That makes sense. Thanks

dingbat likes this.