In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Good chainsaw gloves

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Can anyone recommend any that are specifically chainsaw gloves... to protect against a hand disaster? I have bought three pair and they ain't cheap. One didn't last long at all, they were Endura brand. Next up was Youngstown brand and they are better, tougher. I also had some by Husqvarna, they were nothing special. I prefer some with Kevlar or other super strong fabric for cut-resistance. Wondering if there are favorites.

I suppose I should only wear these while cutting and not chunk wood. The wood handling is what frays them.

I must have read an article like this a couple years ago because I see all three above listed!...

Best Chainsaw Gloves for 2020 (Reviews & Top Picks) | Chainsaw Larry

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    M2theB, amateur cutter and MikeInMa like this.
  2. Chud

Chud

I tried a pair of low vibe cut resistant, but don’t remember the brand. They were not comfortable, so I didn’t wear them. Wood handling wears out gloves pretty quick, so I’ve never wanted to spend on anything nicer than the cheapest leather gloves.
    The only hand disasters I’ve had with saws is while trying to break loose a bar nut and too much pressure on a file.

amateur cutter and M2theB like this.
  3. JCMC

JCMC

I have a pair of Oregon chainsaw gloves that are about 4 years old, they last well if you don't handle wood with them.

mike bayerl and amateur cutter like this.
  4. Blstr88

Blstr88

Agreed that wood handling is what destroys even the best gloves. I personally never use my chainsaw and DONT also handle lots of wood, so I stopped using expensive gloves...I just get cheapo gloves from HD and roll with them. Toss them when they start tearing and grab another pair.

I keep some pairs of Mechanix brand impact gloves for other jobs though, they've been great.

mike bayerl and amateur cutter like this.
  5. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

I wonder if motocross gloves that are meant to go through brush would be good chainsaw gloves. I guess in my mind the protection you would need most would be from flying chips and brush.

amateur cutter likes this.
  6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I use mechanic style gloves as well, if you stick your hand in a spinning chain it's gonna end badly no matter what. I don't care for any "chainsaw" gloves I've tried, they seem to tire my left hand because of having to grip tighter.

Rush Battle and Sinngetreu like this.
  7. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I wear chaps , steel toes boots, hearing and eye protection. My hands go unprotected. If I need gloves for the cold I wear Atlas gloves. If I need gloves for thorns I wear leather. I guess I should wear safely gloves but have never really put forth the effort to research and buy a nice pair.

8. Yawner

Yawner

I think the idea is that a big percentage of chainsaw injuries are to the top of the left hand. So, kevlar or dyneema fabric woven into that area is safer because it can turn a disastrous cut into just a bad cut. Ya know... hands are pretty important. Some gloves have this uber tough fabric in other parts of the glove but top of left hand is most important. It's worth it to me. Think of what you spend on this and that and a hand is important plus chainsawing is unpredictable; these gloves are not that expensive.

Then again, I even have specialized chainsaw boots. Feet are pretty important, too, lol.

9. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I completely agree that gloves are important. Maybe someday soon I will make the purchase.

M2theB likes this.
  10. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

I use the Husqvarna gloves but only for saw handling. Switch to wood-handling gloves when it comes time to handling wood.

M2theB and Maina like this.