In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lowe’s selling infected trees

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Maina, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Maina

Maina

I just saw a news article about Lowe’s selling trees infected with EAB in Maine. I guess it’s here. Just FYI

2. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Heard about that story. I’m surprised EAB wasn’t already in Maine.

3. jo191145

jo191145

4. Chud

Chud

I think everyone will get them eventually. Once there food source is gone in one area they will move to the next.
    Tree companies will make a ton selling snake oil in the meantime.

5. Maina

Maina

It is barely but we all know it’s coming. This could really hasten the spread.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  6. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

The article I saw said that the trees came from an infested area. Not that the trees sold were necessarily infested. They probably want to track down the trees to see if any EAB eggs hatched and larvae infested the trees. Did it say something different in the article that you read Maina ?

7. Maina

Maina

Actually it was a local news article and they interviewed a state biologist. He said the trees are sold at Lowe’s but come from a nursery who they didn’t name. Lowe’s will not be charged and people who have planted trees already can keep them but they need to be inspected for the first 2-3 years, which sounds like trouble to me. The trees are definitely infected, they cut some options and showed the larvae found.

T.Jeff Veal and stuckinthemuck like this.
  8. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

That sounds like empirical evidence. Too bad the spread is being helped along. Big business gets a pass. If it was a little guy, they would get hammered.

9. billb3

billb3

As of Oct 23 2020 none of the trees have been found to be infected with EAB. The one remaining tree for sale was not infected but was destroyed out of an abundance of caution.
    Lowes and Home Depot don't order trees for sale, they contract with nurseries to put stock in their stores which HD and Lowes subsequently sell at retail for the nurseries. My sister supplies both chains with mums and other plants in the Spring and as frustrating as it is to deal with their methods of sales and their margins , they move units.
    This is on the nursery in Connecticut and Delaware Maryland that are supposed to consult their shipping restrictions before shipping. Given that the state of Maine is partially open to shipping these trees it's also possible this was an easy to duplicate mistake.

Lowe's may have sold ash trees infested with invasive beetles in Maine this summer

10. Chud

Chud

This will be your next firewood maker especially for those who burn Ailanthus. Not good for vineyards and orchards.
    Spotted Lanternfly

11. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

That is getting a lot of press in the trade magazines I get for apples and grapes.

Maina and T.Jeff Veal like this.