In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. rainking63

rainking63

Taking the chill out when it's in the 50's at night. Too warm for me but the wife and dog love it.
    PXL_20201019_233247949.jpg

2. Rich L

Rich L

Why are the deer staving with so little snow ?

3. Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Finally getting a bit chilly around here, 46 this morning. Started the fire with hemlock, waited for that to burn almost all the way down, then all plum and holly. Man that holly burns long and hot.

4. Dumf

Dumf Banned

No food. Snow protects the nutritional plants insulated under snow. That's why they eat our shrubbery--"salad".
    "Nature's Way" , great book by a 'Nam journalist ( forget the name of course ) goes into why so many animals do so well when
    we build in their habitat and plant exotics around our homes.
    Little hunting anymore means too many species in a limited environment. Here: bear, turkeys, deer, porkies.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Heading into the teens for lows coming up. That OWB just might get fired up this month!

6. Heat550

Heat550

OWB been going for week now . Snow isn't melting as fast as I wanted it to ... Now there's more coming
    31.3 f burning slabs .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

7. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Looks cozy!

8. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Hello all! I havent been around here much in recent months and so there are many posts on this thread I havent had a chance to go through. We have had cooler weather on and off for some time now and Ive been burning on and off. We woke up to 4-6 inches of snow this morning and now its about -7c/19f. It looks like a big cool down in the coming week which will be nice in some ways. I prefer full on burning rather than a bit here and there. Im also looking forward to winter smoking/grilling and the start of ice fishing season! Glad to be back, I hope you have all had a nice summer!

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I was in the same boat as you....gone for a few months. I actually gave up on "reading posts and trying to catch up". I bet you will too! :handshake:

But, important thing is, we're here for wintertime!!!

amateur cutter, Sean, Maina and 4 others like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Its hard to believe little hunting anymore. Hunters are way down in MI too but not much starvation. Also they say there are fewer hunters but that is not true here! Too many here. But the push the DNR made to make turkey hunters here fizzled. It was big for a few years but I can't seem to get them to come here and shoot.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

Today's highs were in the mid 30's. Snowing now and more to come for tonight.

12. billb3

billb3

The hunting season is far too short here. The deer population in Eastern Mass is supposedly 80 per square miles which is way too high compared to western ma where it's more like 10 per square mile. . Fewer hunters and they tend to hunt in areas where it's easier/higher chances of success. Baiting is disallowed here and maybe that restriction should get dropped.

13. moresnow

moresnow

Understand the frustration with high density deer pops. However. Baiting is a spreader of CWD. Noooo good! Maybe you don't have this disease in Mass?
    We have a deer pop. prob. here as well. Doesn't seem to be near as many hunters anymore. Everyone is on a phone or puter. Online!

Also: At 8PM it's a balmy 37F with continuing rain. Stove got loaded at 5. First load on a brand spanking new Cat. Nice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  14. billb3

billb3

AFAIK, there's no wasting disease here . The baiting ban goes back quite a ways. There was someone that was baiting (apples and something in purchased packages) and left their tree chairs up some maple trees o the corner of my property. One of the chairs was up a tree with one of my no hunting/ no trespassing signs on it. Pizzed me off so I took the chairs. A friend of a friend asked if he could hunt on the property and because he asked I said go ahead. Park in the yard so I know you're out there and I won't go cutting wood. Shotgun season is very short here.

15. Dumf

Dumf Banned

"Nature's Way", Jim Sterba ( 'Nam journalist ). Great read BTW on why so many species around where we live.
    Few hunters even here in rural Maine lately. Prosperity ? Cellphone addiction ? Obesity ?
    Most locals will ask first so I don't go cutting. But few hunting in the past few years. We do target plink and game track, but not hunting.

Shoulder season (SS) in full swing now with those quick morning fires then some sun. Hoarded plenty of Wall Street Journals, Ellsworth Americans
    and kindling over the long hot summer. Morning frosts now, then out nude in the sun later. :D

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Presently 64 here!!! Spring today and back to fall tomorrow.

upload_2020-10-23_7-27-58.png

17. moresnow

moresnow

Backwoods Savage you have been granted another wood saver day:) Sure to be over with soon! Enjoy.

We had record rainfall across the area in the last 24. Glad it wasn't the white stuff. My new steel roof and gutters are performing flawlessly!
    37F and overcast now. Another stove load scheduled around 10am. Lows in the low 20's beginning this evening. Toasty!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    amateur cutter, Sean, Maina and 3 others like this.
  18. yooperdave

yooperdave

Good news..... I don't have to shovel this morning! Hardly anything for fresh snow.

19. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Hung the bird feeders for the winter today since Yogi is back sleeping ( we hope ) with morning frosts.
    Hunting begins, but no takers. Bambis are +/- 20' of you in a car or cutting in the woodlot.
    Porkis are in the oaks, dropping acorns branches. I can't range the pellet gun to hit anything.
    How the H did whatshisname kill 25 squirrels ? What's the secret ?
    SS is in full swing.

20. JohnNH

JohnNH

It's currently 41 outside here in OR. 60% chance of rain. Burning a mix of short splits.