In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Snow Plows

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Oct 21, 2020.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Narrowed down to two choices. Both are straight blades for a 1/2 ton; midweight plow.

What I'm looking for is user/owner reviews of Snowdogg brand and Boss brand.

Likes and dislikes and whether you would buy again. Thank you!

2. unbidden

unbidden

Don't just look at the plow itself. Check the hydraulics setup and the mounting system. I have a buddy with a SD and he hated the mount.

mat60, Chvymn99, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

4. huskihl

huskihl

I’m a little bit opinionated on this, but it’s for good reason. I don’t have any experience with Snowdogg, but my dad and I have owned several Boss and Western plows over the years. My current Boss plow is a 9’2” V plow from 1996. It was used commercially on 25-30 residential driveways for the first 15 years on my dually, and since then I have only plowed about 6 driveways every year. It’s still in use today, although it’s getting a little bit sloppy. I’ve replaced a solenoid 2 times I believe, 2 springs, and 2 hoses. And about five years ago I removed the cutting edge and welded on some plate across the bottom because it had rusted out where it was boxed in. I had a Western straight blade that I had purchased new before this, and replaced or did work to nearly every part on it in the three years that I owned it (new motor, pump, solenoids, cylinders, and even the A-frame needed reconfigured where it snapped off twice). I will never buy another plow unless it is made by Boss

5. unbidden

unbidden

I'm totally on board with what you say. I didn't want to bash SnowDogg but from what I've seen they are a personal paved drive plow option only. I'm a Fisher Plow guy, very heavy duty and the Minute Mount 2 hookup is fantastic. From what I've seen of Boss they are a good plow as well, throw Myers in the mix as also. However, the plow industry is kind of "regionally" oriented... given manufacturers have a good reputation in different areas of the country. It's a get what you pay for industry,,,,,, no doubt about it.

mat60, Chvymn99, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  6. huskihl

huskihl

Plus he’s a yooper, western yooper at that. Boss is made in his backyard

mat60, Chvymn99, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Uncle and brother plow.. one used Boss other used the clear see through plow on 1/2 ton cause it was lighter. Go with Boss

mat60, Chvymn99, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yeah, sometimes you just need to hear it from others. The snowdogg is a heavier plow 12 ga compared to 14 ga. but I'm leaning toward the Boss.

9. Warner

Warner

I believe boss, Westin and Fisher all are all owned by the same company now. I installed fisher plows for a while, it seems once they changed hands quality went down hill fast. I have been out of the game for a year so things may have changed. Even so I would go with a fisher myself mainly because it’s what I know.

Definitely satay way from anything designated a a homowner unit!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Boss is a cooler name than snowdogg

mat60, Stinny, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  11. yooperdave

yooperdave

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: :handshake:

DaveGunter, brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  12. badbob

badbob

Snowdogg and boss,and most others make light,med. and heavy plows.Gotta compare like models.Also depends on what and how you are going to plow.Mine is an old HM9 meyer with a e-57h pump.

mat60 and yooperdave like this.
  13. huskihl

huskihl

Western’s parent company bought out Blizzard and Fisher. Toro bought out Boss in 2015.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We had a light duty Western plow on a Dakota for plowing a pretty good sized lot and private roads at work...never had problems with it...would still have it but we traded up to an F250 :dancer:(hated that Dakota) and the plow was not wide enough...have a commercial Western plow on the 250 now.
    No experience with Boss or Snowdogg...

yooperdave and mat60 like this.
  15. huskihl

huskihl

When a Western hits a small clump of sod and folds over and refuses to lift back up because it’s laying lengthwise underneath your pickup, that’s when you sell it and buy a Boss.

True story :picard::(

16. Horkn

Horkn

Western, blizzard and Fisher are all owned my the same company. Blizzard and Western are made in Milwaukee. I think the fishers are made in Maine still though.

Boss is owned by Toro, and made in Iron Mountain Upper Michigan

yooperdave, mat60 and brenndatomu like this.
  17. jrider

jrider

When I was plow shopping, I went with the heaviest 8'6" one I could find for back dragging. Less likely to lift up and leave a bunch of compacted snow in places where you can't push in. For me that was a Fisher. Something to consider if you think you will have to do any back dragging.

18. Stinny

Stinny

Have had 2- 8' Fisher plows on 2 dif trucks, and a 6' lightweight Fisher on a Jeep Wrangler... all were great.

brenndatomu, yooperdave and mat60 like this.
  19. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Maybe I missed it, but are you only plowing your own driveway, or doing commercial plowing?

Sometimes a lighter plow is better, for less wear and tear on the front end of the truck.

20. badbob

badbob

Biggest problem with "new" plow owners,buying the wrong plow,using it wrong,and abuse.So many variables.

Stinny, Jack Straw and yooperdave like this.