In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jersey pattern or Dayton on a single bit

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Which pattern do you prefer, if you have a preference.
    I like the looks of the Jersey pattern with the "ears" but does that really make a difference?

metalcuttr and dingbat like this.
  2. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I am not sure the ears make much difference, they might in some cases after a lot of hard use. I have one Kelly True Temper Jersey pattern, and it's a large 4 pound beast. I will say one thing though: those ears require a little more fitting time, when installing a new ax handle.

I have other axes more in line with the Dayton pattern and none have came loose at the head, so far. But no brag, just fact; I am pretty good at hanging an ax head, where it will usually hold tight until the handle breaks or something. I do love the look of the Jersey pattern axes.

metalcuttr, dingbat and JW IN VA like this.
  3. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I like the looks of the Jersey pattern.
    My paternal ancestors were in Bucks County,Pa for a while and it may have been the pattern they brought with them to Va in the mid 1700s.No way to know for sure.

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I bought these two old Jerseys lately. The first one is a Collins and I liked it because it sort of reminds me of some of the Grandfor's Burks axes. And I like having the bit hook back under, protecting the ax handle. You could also choke up on the ax for some hand carving, but the head may be too big for that to really be practical. I am hoping it might be a good chopper. The second one is a True Temper Flint Edge, which on this one, I thought it might have a good splitting profile. But I have not received either one yet, so the jury is still out.

I like trying out different ax head styles, just to see how they do. At least that way, I can actually speak from experience, as they all have little design differences that does affect how they preform. I have found that some ax styles work better for splitting wood and some are better for actually cutting down or limbing a tree. And some will do both, but they are usually better at one thing or the other.

AX HEAD, COLLINS JERSEY SINGLE BIT.jpg AX HEAD, TRUE TEMPER FLINT EDGE, JERSEY SINGLE BIT.jpg

JW IN VA likes this.