In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much land are you working with?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RDG, Oct 19, 2020.

1. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I have one acre with a nice stand of Bitternut Hickory, Red & White Oak, Cherry, White Spruce, Beech, Elm, and some White Pine. I don't cut much of my wood unless I need to, I look at it as my wood bank. I am surrounded by woods on all sides and nothing out back but woods going to a lake. My neighbors who own the land give me tons of downed trees, I reward them with veggies from our 3 gardens. I get a lot of wood from tree trimmers, and everyone knows I burn so I get people calling me to take down trees, or get wood the tree services have dropped for them. I am a scrounger big time, my son and I have gotten 4 full truckloads of trimmings in the last two weeks. I have been heating with wood since 1982 and have never paid a penny for wood. I have 15 cord c/s/s now.

Slocum, M2theB, Midwinter and 10 others like this.
  2. MAF143

MAF143

Our family is mostly in the Tiro, Shelby, Galion, Mt. Gilead area a little south although we have a neice in Plymouth. A couple friends of mine growing up were from eastern KY, they were twin brothers.

I hear what you're saying about some loggers should be punished for the crimes they commit in the woods. It only takes a few bad ones to taint the reputation although many times the landowners do contribute by asking them to just cut for maximum $$$ without regard to conservation.

3. Biddleman

Biddleman

Little over 5 acres, mostly all wooded. Black locust, black cherry, a little hackberry, walnut, poplar, sumac, tree of heaven. Only cut what's down or standing dead. I am going to cut a bunch of tree of heaven to try and slow spread of lantern fly.
    My sister and brother in law just bought a larger wooded lot that borders their property. I have yet really to explore it, same mix of trees. I scrounge and in the past bought some off Craigslist. Still will if its a good deal, but being on 3 year plan, I can be more patient and scrounge.

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

My BIL and SIL in Elkins,WV have a 100+ acres and sold off their timber to a logging company (Needed the money)...The loggers did a decent job of not destroying the property, but they had to stay on them to put fencing back and keep the logging roads to a minimum.

5. fox9988

fox9988

10 acres. About half wooded. Mostly Red Oak and White Oak. Produces more than I burn.

M2theB, Midwinter, MikeInMa and 7 others like this.
  6. RDG

RDG

I have family in Tiro and Shelby as well.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We have a bit over 40 acres here. Its an ideal place for a GTG. We even have a nice place to camp and park vehicles (plus lots more if needed) right across the road. We even have permission to cut a bunch of oak on 70 acres right behind the camp/parking area and plan to tackle that with our next GTG.

On top of it all, we live on a dead end road so have privcy!

Here is just part of the group from our last GTG.
    Group photo.JPG

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We need thewoodlands to chime in here. He has one beautiful woodlots. Some a bit flat but most is rolling to steep and even has a beautiful brook flowing through it.

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Also Fuelrod

:thumbs:

10. jjspierx

jjspierx

0.2 acres. I have 2 maples trees, that I hope I don't have to cut and burn anytime soon. :) I'm of the only city firewood hoarders around. I single-handedly make my entire neighborhood smell good in the winter when I first light up the stove, or add wood in the morning.

11. JCMC

JCMC

69 acres 44 of which is wooded with Ash, Beech, Birch, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Oak.

12. Marshel54

Marshel54

Awe! Tiro home of the testicle festival. "You'll have a ball."

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks Backwoods Savage , between the two lots we have 142 acres. The house lot (5.5 acres) has been more work than the bigger lot since it was never thinned out so we had/have more dead White Pine to deal with.

Taking a ride or walk on the bigger lot will take your mind off all the stupid chit going on in life today. All the main trails were there when we bought it so it's just a matter of keeping them open and making some secondary trails when the wind/bugs/winter bring a tree down.

Some of the trees on the lot are, Basswood (The Bee Tree) Hemlock,White Pine, Bigtooth Quaking Aspen, Cherry,White & Yellow Birch, Cherry, Soft Maple, Sugar Maple, Ironwood, Muscle Wood, Beech and a few more that I probably missed.

I did plant some smaller Red Oak years ago, I haven't even checked them out since I don't cut in those areas.

14. Eddie Hughes

Eddie Hughes

I have my patio, my chiminea and a slice of grass , no trouble finding wood though. Also, so nice to see so many of you showing concideration for healthy trees on here. I’m sort of a tree hugger but I do love a fire.

15. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I took some pics today of my woods. Some foliage gone by, some still here. DSCN2547.JPG DSCN2555.JPG DSCN2556.JPG DSCN2558.JPG

16. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

I have 3 stands of woods, 8ac here with the house is all wooded, 30ac down the road which is all woods, and then the farm has 45acres of woods that obviously are not in production.

All are mostly hardwoods, very few softwoods around here.

17. Flamestead

Flamestead

We’ve got 94 ac, with 60 of it woods. We can reach only 20 ac of woods with a tractor, due to steepness of the hill.

Things growing on their own:
    Red Oak, Red Maple, Sugar Maple, White Ash, American Elm, Hophornbeam, Black Cherry, Striped Maple, Apple, White Pine, Eastern Hemlock, Red Spruce, Beech, White Birch, Yellow Birch, Poplar, Serviceberry, Hawthorne, Pignut Hickory, Alder, Witch Hazel, Sumac

Stuff planted: Blue Spruce, Fraiser Fir, Norway Spruce, Larch, Magnolia, Weeping Willow

Invasives:
    Oriental Bittersweet, Multiflora Rose, Japanese Barberry, Honeysuckle

18. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Bittersweet,ugh. It's the tick of the plant world.

19. Flamestead

Flamestead

I grew up on 100ac, and both sets of grandparents had farms. I couldn’t imagine not owning something similar, but it took a while to get to this point. Often there are pieces of land available that are less than ideal in some way or other - once you get past the price of the building lot(s), forest land here is about $1,000 per ac. Someone here posted about finding his sizable chunk of land in the weekly for-sale magazine. If this is your dream, keep your eyes open and get a feel for the going price so you can better align your dream with your reality, and also in order to know a great deal should you see it. Simply for firewood production, you only need a few acres.

20. Flamestead

Flamestead