In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Blondie's playground

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stephiedoll, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Rich L

Rich L

I have my Oak under rubber roofing for about a week.I'm eager to see if the roofing will help dry it out faster.I haven't notice the oak smell leaving the wood as yet.We are having some hot weather so I know that wood is cooking.I plan on picking up a moisture meter and I'll check the wood after the smell dies down.This is my little experiment.I'll give updates. Stephiedoll I'm new to you.Who are all these people your splitting wood for ? You must love them a lot to be so considerate.I do like the thought of it.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

has the EAB hit your area? A living ash tree is getting to be a scarce sight around here. Mostly skeletons with varying degrees of limb loss that stand out this time of year.
    Nicely done repair. Hopefully future hoarders wont find that metal with their saw!

3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Most of the wood is Lefty (my best friend) and mine. He heats his house with it as well as sells it, we split 50% 50% that money. The nice stacked wood, and what I've been splitting belongs to Edwin (Wood Doctor on OPE). He had his wood and splitter stolen from another location that he was using. After I learned that we made the offer that he could stage his wood at Lefty's place. Plenty of wood and little chance of theft so he's been using my splitter. Nice to see him getting back on his feet when first of the year he said he was done with wood.

Yes on the EAB, sad thinking of all the ash trees that will be leaving. City has been cutting them left and right even before they are sick.
    I don't think they will miss the bolts in the limbs with the cable between them. There is also a 26" bolt threw the trunk that will grow over in time. Friend of Lefty's so happy to help out and try to save the tree.

4. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Answered a FBM ad and ended up with some mulberry...

Think I missed this nasty stuff. I know I touched it by my wrist, but no itchy yet.

Attached Files:

5. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

… and on top of mulberry you need some sprinkles. Should get the rest tomorrow. Even better part is I didn't have to fire up the saws.

Attached Files:

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

dam, you must have some special soil in Nebraska. Never seen one that big around here.
    Great score maam. :thumbs: I think your new user name should be Ms. Mulberry!

7. Rich L

Rich L

That's what unity is all about.That's beautiful !

8. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Got the rest of the mulberry and ash. Also some pictures of his brush piles. He is asking for my help in getting rid of it and thinks he has a place to take it. Told him to let me know and since it was an easy score with very little cutting needed I may just help out since he needs a truck to haul it.

Attached Files:

9. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Grand total of my weekend score. Maybe 1.5 cords? Was going to get some locust as well but missed out as he said it was spoken for. Easy come, easy go.

Attached Files:

10. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Lefty purchased some wood along with some 2X's and other junk. About an hour each way, further than I would tend to go, but $50 for the wood. None of it was split, but most won't need any splitting. Less than a handful will need cut and it's been in a lean-to for maybe 10 years so should be dry.

Attached Files:

11. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Assisted Edwin this morning on a dead pin oak one of his contacts sent his way after felling. He did most of the cutting and I loaded my truck.

Attached Files:

12. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Afterward I ran the load out to Lefty's and dumped. No picture of the pile of small stuff that should not need cut or split. He's getting quite the stash again to work on.

Attached Files:

13. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Got out to Lefty's place yesterday and split a tote full of wood, maybe 1/4 cord.

Attached Files:

14. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

After that, went up on the hill to start on some maple that was dumped off last spring. Didn't get a before picture.

Attached Files:

15. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Let the 365 stretch it's legs until, oh crap. Got the first load and was just starting the second. Didn't do the chain any favors.

Attached Files:

16. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Finished off with the 562. Maple still in pretty good shape, but I need to stay on it before it's too late.

Attached Files:

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

That's a nasty spike! I wouldn't want to leave that maple to get soggy over the winter. Nice work!

18. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

On a slop so doesn't stay too wet. It will make the winter but hope to get the rest cleaned up over the next few weeks. So hard to get the time to work on it.

19. GrJfer

GrJfer

Can't really like this one. Hate finding finding chain gremlins.

20. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Went out and got the maple cut up and loaded on Lefty's trailer for splitting. Glad that pile is done, almost. Only, heck I have no idea, piles left to work on.

Attached Files: