In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl MS250 saves the day in Locustville

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Oct 12, 2020.

  1. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I was scanning free CL yesterday afternoon and saw an ad for firewood in Springfield MA. Upon opening the ad my eyes lit right up when I realized it was primo Black Locust. I arranged with the homeowner and set out on an adventure this morning. I was even able to convince my camera girl to tag along.

    I got set up and started marking the log to 20" with a sidewalk crayon. Note to self, use a color other than green next time.

    [​IMG]

    Then I started bucking like a mad man.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    This was a big score. Bigger of a trunk that I thought looking at his pics. The trunk was 24" nearest the stump. The stuff I took today ranged from 17"-21" diameter, and some branch wood.

    I was doing great bucking the trunk 3/4 the way through, then I planned to roll it and zip the remainder off watching the rounds roll. Then.... my chain came off and I saw sparks. Uh oh....did I hit metal. I took the chain cover off and the chain, and realized that 3 of the drive links had broke off. It wouldnt ride right in the bar groove. No biggie, I got my spare chain, mounted it, and....dull as a butter knife. Now I was getting a little nervous. Luckily I always bring 2-3 saws. I pulled the MS250 out with his new razor sharp chain and gave him a quick pep talk. "This is your time to shine little 250, I need you to perform like you've never performed before!!!"...and boy did he ever. He gobbled up the Black Locust like no tomorrow. I finished the big rounds and moved on to some 3-10" diameter limbs the owner had put in a separate pile. Within about 45 minutes I had plenty cut to fill my trailer and truck. I wanted to make the trip count as it is about 45 miles from my house.
     
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I ended up with a nice size pile. About 14' long x 4' high x 20" deep. Should put me around 3/4 of a cord.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I plan to go back later in the week for the rest. There's about a 5' section of the trunk left, and some smaller branch wood. He said he has another Locust branch he wants taken down. Its about 16" diameter x 25' long, and a 10"ish Apple tree. I plan to get all of that while I'm there.
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,429
    Location:
    Ct
    Excellent score!! We used a couple little 250’s for everything for,,,,,,decades I guess. It’s nice to have bigger saws but sharp chains are what really cut the wood.
     
  4. Cash Larue

    Cash Larue

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2019
    Messages:
    2,531
    Likes Received:
    21,012
    Location:
    Pine, CO
  5. farmer steve

    farmer steve

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    Messages:
    1,966
    Likes Received:
    14,384
    Location:
    top of the hill york co. PA.
    Great score Sir. When I was a poorer farmer than I am now and all I had was my 023 and 250 I cut cords and cords of locust on dad's farm.
     
  6. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    This is actually my second 250. The first one I bought new in 2007-2008, at the exact same time my brother bought his 660. We were clearing a house lot a few years later and like an idiot I put the 250 and my 7900 behind the dozer track so they would be out of harms way. Yeah......that wasn’t too smart. He backed over both saws. The 250 was totally crunched and the 7900 was pretty mangled. After a $400 surgery he was able to get back to normal life. My brother felt so bad that when I went to get in my truck at the end of the next day there was another brand new 250 sitting on my seat. It’s a homeowner saw but I’ve cut a lot of wood with mine. Great for limbing and small bucking up to say 12” diameter. It will cut bigger, but it takes time. I cut a couple slices of the 20” diameter Black Locust today and it did great.
     
  7. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,013
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    There, fixed that for you. ; ) You were in Locustville after all.
     
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,362
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    :thumbs:
     
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,751
    Likes Received:
    214,924
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Great score SBA! :thumbs: Cant believe i missed this thread :emb:
    Pics are deceiving. Nice surprise it was bigger and good you had extra saw with you. Never have run a 250 but have heard great things about them. I know a firewood seller and a 250 is his main saw. Never had drive links break either. Teeth yes.
    Ive used sidewalk chalk to mark cuts and certain colors arent that good!
    Looks like locust mania has you well in its grip!
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,751
    Likes Received:
    214,924
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    :cool: :D :rofl: :lol: :thumbs:
     
  11. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass

    Yeah, and Locust bark is one of the tougher ones to color on. I always bring at least 2 saws. usually 3 of my 4. Would have really sucked if the 250 wasn't there. Would have been up chit creek without a paddle. The log pics always look smaller than when you get there.
     
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Many times those small saws will amaze you. Its nothing today like it was 30 or more years ago. I remember a friend came here once, probably back around 1979 with his killer Homelite saw. When he brought it out I laughed but he bragged it up. Ha! It was more like trying to buck up wood with a one man dull crosscut saw. Only a couple months later he gave that saw to me and said he hoped I could do something with it. I did. Threw it into the trash. lol

    Green definitely is not the right color for chalk. I like yellow or red and yellow is actually the best. Here is my marker.

    crayon holder.jpg
    One good thing is I don't break the chalk when using this and it is also harder to lose.
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,751
    Likes Received:
    214,924
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I have been using the white blackboard chalk. Sidewalk chalk sold out at dollar store due to covid. Breaks a bit too easily but i do the best i can. One piece per score.
    Yeah being that far from home without a saw would ruin any hoarders day!
     
  14. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I should probably mention that I also had a round file for both 3/8” chain and .325 chain in my bag, as well as my receiver hitch vise. If I had to I would have taken the time to sharpen the spare 20” chain loop. I wasn’t leaving without a full load.
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,751
    Likes Received:
    214,924
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Dont blame you. I wouldve done the same. I always have extra chains and files in my "little black box" toolbox. When you going back?
     
  16. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Hopefully Friday
     
  17. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,844
    Likes Received:
    114,750
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    buZZsaw BRAD is doing the math and coming up with 2.

    Wednesday plus Thursday = 2. 2 days to get to Springfield.

    :rofl: :lol:
     
  18. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Not on my watch. The homeowner and I made a super duper handshake deal that it was mine.....alllllll minnnnneeeeeee!!!!! :rootintootin:
     
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,751
    Likes Received:
    214,924
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nah, if anything id go to meet and help. Enough BL around here for me. Rain is forecast for the afternoon Friday but knowing you SBA you'll be long gone by then!
    Do wanna see follow up pics though. :ithappened:
     
  20. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I’m hoping for an early morning extraction. Super covert kind of mission Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!:zip: