In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How Long is too Long to Have a Saw at the OPE Dealer for Repairs?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Oct 12, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:emb: YES!

Some of my customers say that to me and i tell them dont tell me that cuz ill never get too it!

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I agree to a certain extent. Working on gas engines has never been my forte. Even in vocational school as a freshman, automotive was my worst grade (had to tear down an engine and put it back together) as we took a week in every trade during the course of the school year.
    Screwloose if i brought a chain saw into the living room Ms. buZZsaw would :heidi:me! The only time that happened when they come in the mail. She hates it when i leave one in the foyer.

3. Dumf

Dumf Banned

You both need to clean your saws in the dishwasher.:pain:

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

BTDT. Now get never seize in the clothes washer, that's another story.

5. Biddleman

Biddleman

I have abandoned brands that I've been long time loyal to because of horrible service. Sometimes businesses act like they're doing you a favor when working on things for you or providing a service.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I dont think that would be a good idea. Water would probably get in areas it shouldnt and ruin the saw.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Right?! Sounds downright dum...f...:hair:

8. JimBear

JimBear

You should just take better care of your saw then you don’t have to wait on repairs....
    This is coming from the guy that backed over the handle on his 440/460 :whistle::whistle:

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Good point! :emb: In a nutshell heres what happened. Felling a 20' Norway maple spar. Make all cuts and drive wedges into back cut. Wont go over. Drove two standard steel wedges in and still no go even though all the way in. Cut in from the front and it lets go...to the side. Lost the hinge! I was crouched in a one point stance and beat feet outta there. Saw was slightly bound and i wasnt hanging around to pull it out. Luckily only bent handle bar and broken brake lever. Mounts were okay. I was in one piece with a slightly bruised ego.

10. Dumf

Dumf Banned

A joke Brenda, a joke.
    Butt, it it is dumf.....even "downright":doh::doh:
    :doh:

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  11. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Not to worry Brad, it's happened to all of us. Live and learn.
    However--never use steel wedges to push over a cut. It could need more cutting and control of the fall from the rear.
    Once the front mouth is done, its risky to then cut again in the wedge. You were lucky.
    Plastic ones do the job without destroying your chain ( and maybe the saw ).

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've stacked plastic hinges together to gain more lift.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I never do use the steel and had three wood ones driven in already. Drove them in all the way so it was opened 1.5" and still no go. Center of gravity too low on a spar. Awkward location on the edge of an embankment didnt help. The saw survived enough for me to buck it up then brake lever snapped when i went to disengage it

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I use my homemade wood ones cut from 2 by lumber. The usually get destroyed when i pound them in, why i have a bunch of them. They are actually scraps from the birds mouth cuts on rafters.

15. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Me too. Black bear rifled felling wedges, they have ridges and groves in them so they can’t slip sideways on you

16. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Butt stacked wedges do slip. Riffled ones also.
    One shot out and hit me where it shouldn't be between the chaps opening. Knocked me over and nearly out; tears.:faint::faint:
    Lots of power in that slippery plastic wedge. Beware.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats why i like the wood ones. Plastic another thing for me to have and carry around. Enough firewood making stuff in the PU already! :picard:

18. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I worked for a shop part time for awhile doing all their chainsaw work. Most of the time parts would come in about one week and at the most 2 weeks. When that part came in that was the first thing I worked on to get that saw up and running. I still order parts on line for myself and friends and family. It is still usually one week. The place I worked stocked fuel line and a lot of other items so there was no waiting for certain things. Sounds like your dealer is having some difficulties with people who do not know that they are doing.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

EDIT: it was $250 just for the 460 including an $80 clutch cover! I misunderstood mechanic over the phone. They still didnt order the fuel line for the 361. :headbang: I was firm with the kid and the lady that works there started complaining about how busy they are and 200 others in front of me. I left and started thinking about it and got pizzed. :mad: Gonna go back and get the saw. They're fired. Wont have time til Friday afternoon...if it rains then.

Anyhow 460 is back and rearing to go. IMG_3318.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG

20. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Those MS 460 are some great saws. I have two that I have ported and muffler modded. I have cut down some pretty good size spruce trees with them.

IMG_1236.JPG

Did you notice the full wrap handle.