In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Battle of the firewoods-Red Oak vs Mulberry

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Red Oak vs Mulberry

Poll closed Oct 17, 2020.
  1. Red Oak

78.8%
  2. Mulberry

21.2%
  1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

It’s the weekend and that means one thing BONUS match!!! That’s right, Saturday and Sunday will each feature two matches for your entertainment. A weekend firewood battle extravaganza. In today’s bonus match we have two more beloved firewoods. Red Oak and Mulberry. Let’s begin with Red Oak. Coming in a 22.1 MBTU’s per cord and 36 months seasoning time. With Mulberry always a fierce competitor we have 23.2 MBTU’s per cord and 18 months dry time. Who’s it gonna be???

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Red Oak. Splits easy & straight. Mulberry pops when burning & the trees are "twisty".

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Interesting one here... Red Oak wins in my book... (when you have the space to let it dry for its appropriate time)... Good burn times and good heat... Now on the other note I love me some mulberry for the smoker :D... I just have never been that impressed with it in the stove for that serious heat. Shoulder season yes, but not for the long lasting BTU burns needed when the cold hits... I know a lot of folk love it... But to me its right there with Walnut in my books...

4. Chud

Chud

Again more Red Oak than Mulberry in my neighborhood. They are bigger, straight wood about splits itself and gravity fells a bunch of them.

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

Mulberry all day long. Quicker dry time and higher BTU'S. Must be dry or it will pop like amateur cutter said. Dang red oak is to heavy green for this old fart. Won't pass it up though.

6. fox9988

fox9988

Red Oak, it's 90% of what I burn. Big straight trees that split easy and make the heat. I have lots of both on my property and find it difficult to believe that Mulberry is listed with more BTUs than Red Oak. Seat of the pants says Red Oak has ~30% more heat. If I need to cut a Mulberry, it's used a shoulder season wood. I'm 7 years ahead so drying time is irrelevant to me.

7. jrider

jrider

Love love love mulberry. First off, yellow saw chips are cool. Seasons quicker and I live the snap crackle pop of it burning

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Red oak is my fav! But I do love mulberry as well. I’m happy scoring either. Slight edge goes to the oak for longer burn times in my firebox.

brenndatomu and Midwinter like this.
  9. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I don't think I have burned much or any mulberry, but I have burned red oak, splits so nice with the isocore. So it's red oak for my vote

10. Chud

Chud

Red Oak is the workhorse for heating my house.

11. JPDavis

JPDavis

We have Emory Oak here, a variety of red oak and it puts out more heat and burns longer than mulberry when seasoned correctly. Just wanna say I have nothing against mulberry it's a great firewood as well.

12. JimBear

JimBear

I voted Mulberry since I have very little Red Oak. The only problem I have splitting Mulberry is uglies or forks, everything else splits great. I can’t say as I have seen much difference between output of Mulberry vs Red Oak. Plus Mulberry grows so fast & is so abundant at least around here that’s the case anyway.

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

This ^^^^^

brenndatomu, Midwinter and fox9988 like this.
  14. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I picked red oak because it's always been the bulk of the wood I have burnt. A lot of it was standing dead red oak, and some that had already fell. It usually burnt well, but I doubt that it saw 3 years drying time, unless you counted the time standing or laying dead. Some of it may have gotten to hang around for 3 years but not that much of it.
    I am starting or attempting the 3 year plan.

15. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

Mulberry. I spend a lot of time removing these from fence rows. They dry quick, but they pop like hedge.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I like both, but since mulberry tends to be a pain to process with all the brush and lots of crotches and knots since there is so many branches, I went Oak...

17. Maina

Maina

Same for me

Midwinter, Chvymn99 and fox9988 like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

As much as i hate the wait for oak to season it gets my nod. Only a half cord of mulberry scrounged this year so no experience burning it. MB rare tree in these parts.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Having not burned any yet i tend to agree as the splits that are several months old seem on the light side.

MikeInMa and Midwinter like this.
  20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I have to go with Red Oak here, mostly because I firmly believe it's a very honorable thing to process and stack firewood that your great great great grandchildren will be able to enjoy someday, so long as it's stacked in the desert, on a dark asphalt pad and top covered with a gigantic magnifying glass to help roast the wood completely dry :rofl: :lol: