In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Super split or wolfe ridge

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Woodwhore, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I need a faster machine, what do you guys think. I do not want a processor because of the way i get my wood.

2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

:popcorn:

3. Dstrick

Dstrick

Pleased with my Wolfe Ridge.

4. Chud

Chud

I have no experience with either brand, but I like the power split design. Noticed eastonmade has a similar design with the Axis.

edit: I had super split confused with power split.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Both great machines that will split a lot of wood. Completely different styles though. The Pro 28 WR which appears to be there entry level model is about $5,500, whereas the entry J model SS is about $2,500. If you need a log lift and come across a lot of big wood, the WR makes sense. You could always noodle them and use the SS though. Im partial to SS, but I’ve never tried a WR. For the price of the WF you could get a SS and another toy or two as well.

6. mnguns

mnguns

I have run an SS for a long time now. I heat and sell so mine runs year round.

The SS is fast. Cuts thru wood as opposed to crushing it. It is simple, reliable, and requires very little maintenance. Without a log lift you will need smaller logs or a stronger back. If you get it on the beam the machine will split it.

Wolf Ridge makes a nice machine. A lot of people seem to be pleased with them. All the pros and cons one can expect with a horizontal splitter.

After nothing but positive to say about my SS, I just put my order in for an Eastonmade Axis. Cycle time is close to the SS. The vertical design reduces moving blocks back into place. Towable on the road and a log lift. Pretty tough package to beat. Even has a conveyor if you care to spend the extra coin.

metalcuttr, Chud, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The EM Axis looks a lot like the old Powersplits.

metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. mnguns

mnguns

Correct....the Axis though has a taller work area and a bit more splitting power. Powersplits are still in production and I do like their forward facing conveyor. Either would work well for a man if they chose a vertical machine.

metalcuttr, Chud and T.Jeff Veal like this.