In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How far is too far?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Old Nate, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Up here farmers like free labor that makes them less work and more $$.

2. Old Nate

Old Nate

I never heard of a M@$$ hole before. Hmm. I like the idea of having a permit that says I can go in any state Forest and take whatever. But I’m wondering how they monitor that? I guess they don’t.

3. billb3

billb3

I think 93 is worse. 195 is fairly deadly with aggressive drivers as well. Especially between Fall River and Providence.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm not on the pike too often but I noticed when I get on at the end of I-84 that traffic hums right along at 80-85MPH and either I keep up or get mowed over. Agreed, 93 and 95 are a zoo.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I believe you can only dead stuff already laying on the ground and in some states they mark where and what you can cut.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

It all depends on how much you need the wood and what kind it is. We have gone 45 minutes or more for wood. It was 4 dump trailer loads that time, huge oak, the man loaded it for us. We also go about 30 minutes for hickory, and take the tractor to load. I understand about the boys, will be better when they are older. If I was going that far, I would definitely take a trailer and maximize the load home.

7. Husky Man

Husky Man

Never had a pellet stove have you???

I had a Breckwell years ago, maybe ours was a Lemon, it worked well, WHEN it worked, but I worked on it way too much, Auger motors, fan motors, Mother board, etc., etc., etc.......

Yep it is Nice being able to get more than a days pellets in the hopper, but those pellets, aren't as cost effective as they used to be, and when the power goes out (We were without power for a week in Sept) the pellet stove is done too

Plus we ENJOY going out to the Forest to cut firewood.

Been there, Done That, DON'T Care to go back, YMMV

Doug :cheers:

8. Husky Man

Husky Man

He has a full size pick up, he would be better off to rent a U Haul Tandem Axle open trailer, it will probably carry as much weight, as the truck, but WAAAAAY Cheaper to rent. The rental on the trailer for a day should be cheaper than the truck rental rate, but where the trucks get really expensive is the MILEAGE CHARGES, usually around .89/Mile Weekday, $1.09/MILE Weekends, that adds up in a HURRY

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have cut on permitted National Forest land and it is way to far at about 40 miles one way. I used to permit cut on Fort Lewis which would only be about 15 miles and was OK if you didn't mind occasionally ruining a chain an an embedded piece of hardened shrapnel. Now I am a strictly suburban cutter and won't go more than about 5 miles from my home. Suburbia around here is so wooded that there are downed trees for the taking (maybe not quite in buZZsaw BRAD quantities) but a lot if you keep your eyes open. Granted, mostly Doug Fir, but occasionally Madrone, Oak or Cherry and such. All free and close to home. It also helps to have a good friend who owns a tree service for when the drive by wood is scarce!

10. Husky Man

Husky Man

I don’t know what you have for National Forests back East, we have a LOT of NF’s here way out West.

From our house, it is usually about 45 minutes to most of where we cut, I take a 6x12 tandem axle trailer with 6’ sides on it, I usually scale out about 1,000# overload (which I am Comfortable with) at a bit over 2 cords on board

The specifics Vary Widely from one NF to another, mainly dependent on amount of wood
    available, and the expected number of people cutting

In the Mt Hood NF, where we usually cut, we are allowed up to 6 cords/year/household, at $10/Cord, $20/ minimum purchase. We are ONLY allowed to blowdown, or trees that the Forest Circus has fallen for woodcutters, No Winching

In the Bend/Fort Rock unit, they are allowed 8 Cords at $5/Cord, fall Standing Dead up to 24” DBH again $20 minimum purchase, no winching

In the Wenatchee NF, they are allowed 12 Cords at $5/Cord/ $20 minimum purchase, and can fall up to 20” Standing Dead, IIRC, No Winching in the Wenatchee NF, but up in the Tonasket, it is the same rules as the Wenatchee, except, IIRC, they are allowed to winch up to 200’

As far as I know, ALL NF’s Require an 8” bladed shovel, fire extinguisher, and a 1 hour fire watch, after the last saw is shut down

It is on the “Honor System “, the permit is Free, but “Tags” are sold in half cord tags, at the above mentioned prices. Tags are to be attached to the back of the load, visible from behind, the tags are numbered, and supposed to be recorded on the permit with the date and time the wood was cut/hauled. The permit comes with a map that shows where cutting is/is not permitted, and you are required to have a weekly woodcutting info sheet in your possession as well, those can be downloaded from online, or picked up at a Forest Circus Ranger Station, which we usually drive right past the Zigzag Ranger Station on our way to the Forest

Any LEO, or Forest Circus employee can stop you to inspect your load/tags/permit/required equipment, but I have never been stopped

The requirements are reasonable, and easy to comply with, but you must check the rules for the specific NF you are in

11. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

You go 100' further than I will.

bushpilot and metalcuttr like this.
  12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

In my previous post I said I have stopped permit cutting on National forest land because it was too far. Yesterday I went grouse hunting in the National Forest and saw a log that got me wishing to get a permit again. A good 18 oldgrowth2.jpg feet (not counting what is on the slope) and 45" in dia. of straight, dense grained Doug Fir tucked away down a dinky side road. What a dream to split into nice blocks. I think a longer bar would be in order though! oldgrowth1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  13. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would be all over that in a heart beat. I drive 200 miles round trip every year to the mountains to get lodge pole pine, and it still beats the heck out of paying for propane. Plus it gets me out and into the mountains which I enjoy very much.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  14. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I'm with you there. Been doing 150 mile round trips every few weeks since July to get my stash up to snuff.

15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Great point. :yes:

metalcuttr, Beetle-Kill and Mag Craft like this.
  16. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I always take me a fold up chain a couple of beers and a cigar so I can just sit there and take it all in.

It is still a rush to fall a tree for me. I never get over it.

17. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Out here when you pull a permit to cut in national forest it means they have designated areas only that you can cut in. You can not go anywhere and start falling trees and it is only dead trees that you can fall.

18. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Same here but if you find a downed tree you can call a forester with the road # or lat/lon and they will either give you permission if they know about it, or meet you there, or check it out and call you about it. I have talked to several of these foresters and they have all been pleasant, dedicated, agreeable people! These are the NF Rangers. Some of the State Rangers are not so agreeable.

T.Jeff Veal and Mag Craft like this.
  19. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Out here the national forest are not bad to deal with. I have had some issues with BLM people being very rude and unfriendly.

When NF people open back up I will have to ask them about that. I have a feeling though that they could be a little easier going there where you are.

T.Jeff Veal and metalcuttr like this.