In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How far is too far?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Old Nate, Sep 30, 2020.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

@ 45 minutes one way, it has to be primo wood. An hour is really pushing it. If I was desperate, I’d consider it but I have so much close there’s never a need.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

...but what if it was a 60" red oak trunk an hour one way? Hard for you resist that? :saw: :tree:
    Sorry Jason i know your weak spot!

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Truth! Unleashing a ported 94cc beast saw in a log that size is an absolute joy.

What I just realized, my radius gets somewhat of a reset when I search from where I work. I found one monster almost 1/2 hour from there and I have a 35 minute commute. So like mentioned, there are exceptions (big red oak logs, lol). :doh:

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Biggest ive cut with is my MS460 @77cc...stock. MS660/661 is 92cc. I was my OPE dealer recently and picked up the MS880 (122cc)with a 48" bar (insert Tim Allen grunt)
    Now its on my bucket list to cut with one!

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

No we won't. We hoard it all ourselves.:rofl: :lol:

6. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

30 minutes one way is my limit. I might go 5 minutes or so over that for cherry or apple ( or osage orange simply because I've never scored any) but thats about it. And the only reason to go over 30 minutes for cherry/apple is they sell easiest

7. jo191145

jo191145

It’s all in the mindset. For me I made hoarding a hobby. Sure beats the chore it used to be.
    Would you drive an hour to go fishing, boating, hiking, hunting etc etc etc.
    For the last year or more I’ve been driving past nice straight oak logs a few minutes from my house. I’ll drive an hour for a Black Locust score if it calls to me. Simply because that’s what I feel like doing, no analysis needed.
    It’s not logical but many hobbies aren’t. I never bought a boat to drive it an hour to the ocean to catch fish. Logic dictates I buy that at the supermarket. Still it’s easy to understand why some buy the boat.

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Excellent point. Very well made.

9. Old Nate

Old Nate

This is pretty accurate. I often enjoy cutting more than heating with the wood (eh, prob not but you guys get what I’m saying) The one down side is the time away from my family which is why I like to stay within 20 mins of home, if I can. Now when my boys are old enough to get out there with me, maybe I’ll look at it differently.

10. JDU

JDU

PA State Forest Land fuelwood permits cost $20 a cord. Call the district office you are considering cutting on regarding their rules. Some districts only allow cutting dead and down wood, some standing dead, some only marked trees, some only in certain areas, etc. DCNR website you can see where district boundaries are, state land maps and contact info.

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Sounds like way to much hassle for what you get. How do they check the amount of wood you have? Do you have to go to a check station, and then argue about whether its a cord or a cord and a quarter? If you tell me you have to stack it so they can measure it I'm going laugh about it all day. By the time you figure your truck fuel, fighting with other permit holders, time involved, procedures you have to abide by, etc. you'd be better off buying log length dropped at your doorstep.

Plus it doesn't sit well with me having to pay the state and obtain a permit to cut dead or rotting wood. Itd be like me paying to get a permit to plow snow off state roads. I'm good

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:rofl: :lol: My farmer burns wood so I know what you your saying! But his fields are surrounded by woods. Every year fields get smaller and cows need same amount of food!

13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I must live in the wrong state. Very few farmers left around here. The ones who are would either:

*Laugh you off the property

*Look at you like you had three heads

*Want you to pay them to cut the wood

14. rainking63

rainking63

I'm in a Facebook group in my town that's solely for barter, favors, good deeds, etc. Nothing is bought or sold, so it's just neighborly stuff. I put a post up indicating that I'd be happy to come cut up any downed trees (emphasis on DOWNED) as long as I could take the wood. A couple hours later my inbox was flooded with messages.
    Give it a shot on FB or Craigslist and you might get something local.

15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’ve attained said permit before, it worked on the honor system for me. I didn’t mind so much considering I got my $20 worth each time.

16. JDU

JDU

No check station, honor system. It is really not a bad deal if there is easy dead standing stuff by the road and you are driving by it anyway to get somewhere.

17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Maybe that's where the term M@$$hole came from, all the wood scrooges up there and NOT the way the people on the Masspike drive :)

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Certainly no shortage of %#%holes here in MA

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

First time I met this couple from Mass. on vacation they introduced themselves as M@$$holes! o_O :rofl: :lol:

20. bushpilot

bushpilot

How far is too far? About 100 feet from my driveway is about my limit.

:)