In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying new saw- opinions

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by pitbill, Sep 29, 2020.

1. pitbill

pitbill

Hey all- i'm looking to buy a new 60cc saw- i've narrowed it down to a Makita EA6100PRGG or a Shindaiwa 600SX. I'm buy no means a pro cutter, just a weekend warrior, but i cut about 5-7 cords a year and need a bigger saw than what i have. I currently own 3 different huskys but i need a larger saw (24") for some of the bigger stuff i cut. Both saws are about the same price (a bit more than 600) , so i'm looking for opinions from the board members. if you have any other opinions on other saw brands i'd also love to hear it- thanks!

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

You're gonna get all kinds of responses. Most will likely say Stihl 362 or Husky 562, which are the top dogs in the 60cc class. Others will say Echo. Most will agree go with a saw that has dealer support.

I'll be the odd man out and say get the 6100 Dolmar. I've been running Dolmars (a 7900 and a 5100) since 2009. At the time they were about the best value you could get in a professional grade saw. Much cheaper than Stihl or Husky with just as good specs. They've gone up in price a bit since the full Makita takeover, but still cheaper than the big two. The 6100 has good reviews. If you have a Dolmar dealer nearby, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I've never run a Shindy chainsaw, but they make excellent products, and I have two Shindy trimmers and a powerbroom.

3. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I second the dealer driven selection. I don’t trust any of the dealers near me any more than another, and I like the Echos so I’ve got a CS-620P. I first got a CS-501P and I love it with a muffler mod.

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Since you’re already running Husqvarnas, if you got a good dealer, stay with them and go 562xp. I love mine

5. pitbill

pitbill

If its up to dealer selection, i have just about every dealer within a 20 mile radius...husky, stihl, echo, makita, redmax, etc.... every tractor dealer, feedstore and small engine guy around here is a dealer of one brand or another. Im looking at these two due to price and i like both dealers- fair price and no bs service.

6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Dealers can be fickle. I've found smaller shops where the owner is involved and is actually there are usually the best. My Dolmars I bought from Curtis Outdoor Power Equipment in Brooklyn CT. When you call, Brad answers the phone himself. When you go there, he is actually there and is the one who works on your saw. You don't deal with a teenager who is totally clueless about saws in general, like I have at more local "shops". One particualr shop near me started out small and owner based. Now the two sons run it and i never see them when I go in. They are in the back offices. Never come out to say hi to anyone, or anything. If you ask to talk to them you're dismissed and forced to deal with a clueless salesman.

Whether its a car dealership or a power equipment place I can't stand paying huge hourly rates for a newly hired tech to work on my stuff. I understand they need to learn, but I don't want them practicing on my stuff. If I'm paying top dollar for a professional tech, that's exactly what I expect. The last time I had a service done on my Frontier, I looked in the bay and the kid working on it looked about 16. Took over 2 hours for an oil change and fluid check. The bill was $250. I wanted to flip out, but the service manager saw me pacing back and forth and I think he knew I was pizzed off. They actually comped the entire bill, which was nice of them, but that was the last time I had service done there. I just do it myself. To drive there, wait two hours, pay over 5 times what I can do it for, and drive home just doesn't make sense.

The point is, don't let the dealer be the deciding factor. Many dealers suck and aren't worth going to. I have two Stihl/Husky shops near me, but I'd rather drive 45 minutes to Brooklyn and deal with Curtis.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Isn’t the Makita the same saw?

8. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Yes Makita owns Dolmar. To the best of my knowledge the Makita gas chain saws are still made in the Dolmar factory in Germany.

9. pitbill

pitbill

Your 100% right- the reason I'm not looking at a stihl is that the local dealer acts like hes doing me a favor when I'm in there (very dismissive- i guess he only likes pro's, not weekend guys like me) - the husky dealer, who i like, has grown so big that every time im there they just seem overwhelmed and just cant handle the volume- that's why im looking at the makita/dolmar dealer and the echo/shindaiwa dealer...both are good shops and very helpful...i feel they will address any issues i have.

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Can't go wrong with either. Both good, pro saws that are virtually equal in performance. Handle both if you can and pick the one that balances and feels best in YOUR hands.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

11. Warner

Warner

Echo offers a 5 year warranty. They may not be the fastest or lightest saws but they are reliable. IMO

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

pitbill just my .02, I think you should at least test drive a Husky 562. The first time I ran one of these saws, I was blown away at how smooth they cut.

13. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yep they are smooooth:cool:

14. tamarack

tamarack

Pitbull don't be afraid to buy a 70cc saw. They really rip with a 24 inch bar, and will run 28 and 32 inch bars if needed. But I'll toss another vote for the 562 they are very powerful for 60cc.

15. Hatchetdancer

Hatchetdancer

16. campinspecter

campinspecter

My vote is for the 562!
    100_4749.JPG
    It walked through these logs no problem!
    100_4751.JPG

17. pitbill

pitbill

Well, i ordered a saw today......husky 562xp, spent more than i wanted too, but after doing a demo with it i was hooked. I'll just add it to my other 3 huskys ...had to order it cause he had no new in stock, only the demo. Thanks for all the help, and have a great day!!!!!!!

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’m sure you’ll love it

19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

You won’t regret it! :thumbs:

20. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Hopefully you’ll get one of the updated ones that have the new air filter & some other updates on it.:thumbs: