In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

You guys think I'm joking

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Sep 29, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

You know how people say things like I wish I could get that deal near me. Or around here they want money for everything.

Well this is what deals I find locally on FB and CL. Everything close by to me is absolute garbage. To get anything resembling a "good deal" I have to travel an hour away. I cant believe I missed these opportunities

Disgusting the disparity and injustice across the nation. You guys and girls getting free primo Locust dropped off at your doorstep don't realize how lucky you are.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

What part of Massachusetts are these basement bargains in?!?! I need to get in on these deals before they're gone! :rofl: :lol:
    Is that we're you're at, the Leominster area?

T.Jeff Veal, mat60, WeldrDave and 8 others like this.
  3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Better hurry!!! They won't last!!!

I'm in Spencer, which is central MA. I just posted the Leominster one for giggles. Couldn't believe someone paid $100 for that log.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

People are funny sometimes in what they're willing to fork money over for... I don't know the exact area you're in too well but I know there's no shortage of forests up that way. I'm assuming since you've been burning a massive amount of wood each year you've already gone down the road of making friends with tree services? What are the laws on cutting on state land there too? Connecticut used to have a program where you could get a permit to harvest trees on state land for next to nothing. It was all part of responsible forest management and they encouraged the public to get involved.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I don’t know of any permits like that in MA. I noticed most halfway decent wood scores have a do not take sign on the wood within a day of it being cut.

6. rainking63

rainking63

They still have a program like that of sorts, though I think it's a bit of a rip off. I saw a sign in Nehantic State Park indicating that you can get a permit for taking already downed trees, $50 for 2 cords if I'm not mistaken. Couldn't find anything on the state forestry site though. Anyway, you won't find me paying $50 for two cords of wood. My friend gives me beer to take his trees!

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I was thinking the same thing. I have to pay the state to cut trees that are already down on the sides of the road that they normally pay state workers to clean up??? Don't we pay enough in taxes already??? All the wood I get will either be free or I get paid to cut it. If I'm going to pay for wood, I'll just have it delivered to my house.

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Here it is, government at it's best.
    How to Apply for a Timber Harvest License
    Better study, take the exams, pay the fees, and renew it as necessary. Because you're keeping people working in government living off your tax dollars gainfully employed.

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The state can kiss my azz. I won't be applying for any timber harvesting license.

10. Warner

Warner

Can’t blame someone for trying. You never know someone might come along like the butternut log ad. If not it didn’t cost the poster anything.

11. Chud

Chud

Are there any universities near you? Maybe contact facilities management to find out what they do with their wood.
    Sorry it’s hard for you and others to get wood. I can’t give it away, unless it doesn’t have to be split, or is split, delivered and stacked. I have cut small pieces that can easily be handled and no one picks it up, so I have to go back and pick it up. People ask me for wood, I make it and they don’t pick it up.

Have you tried following the utility clearance tree crews in your area, or asked them for wood. I’ve noticed they leave piles of wood in utility right of ways.

12. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

They cut these trees at the end of last week. Hadn't been to that section of town until today. Surprise, surprise. This is a 3' minimum DBH trunk half down an embankment.

[​IMG]

Haftacut, mat60, MikeInMa and 5 others like this.
  13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Oh come on. Don't be one of those people that has a problem for every solution. Go back, turn that sign 90 degrees, take that trunk and if anyone gives you any trouble say you thought the sign was pointing to just the stump and the smaller tree behind it. End of story.

JackHammer, mat60, MikeInMa and 7 others like this.
  14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I'm pretty well set on Oak at the moment. If it was Locust, Sugar Maple or Beech I may take your advice. Doesn't help that everyone and their brother are home right now. So scrounges that would have normally lasted until the weekend are gone in a day or two.

15. jo191145

jo191145

We could get along LMAO

mat60, WeldrDave, billb3 and 4 others like this.
  16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm being facetious here, obviously. I can appreciate the dilemma you're in. It can be tough to find enough legitimate sources of wood. Hence why I sometimes scrounge the highway or quiet back roads where the land is owned by... never mind.

17. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I know your joking. I don’t really need the wood, just can’t help myself.

18. jo191145

jo191145

Well I know the EAB has been to Mass. How about the Gypsies? There’s got to be dead trees up there somewhere.
    On Sunday, put the entire family In the Sedan and go for a nice Sunday drive. All backroads, it’s quality time. ;)

19. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

sirbuildalot bookmark this and check at least yearly
    Forest Management Projects
    I missed out on the firewood cutting in Townsend State Forest. That would have been an easy one for me.
    I've found that most if not all utility and tree company wood is sold as biomass to the plant in Fitchburg, anything left on the roadside is heavily guarded or at least posted.

20. Midwinter

Midwinter

Same here. I just keep watching every day. For every 20 listings for old cedar fence panels, there's one listing for decent rounds. And one time out of a hundred there's a good scrounge close to me. Got lucky today! IMG_20200929_55585.jpg

mat60, MikeInMa, WeldrDave and 8 others like this.