In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2ndary burn in a rock burner

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Check out the 2ndary (wood) burn in this black rock burner.

Pretty impressive considering the depth of that stove...and the height of the tubes above the wood. That firebox is tall. Lots of room from the grate to the tubes. Nice load of wood in it with plenty of room from the top of the load of wood to the tubes.

These are NOT EPA 2020 certified. However, the stove is still built the same and only sold as a black rock burner. Obviously, it will still burn wood.

Note:
    490*F at the door.
    330*F stove top.
    150*F stove pipe just above stove top.
    Most of the heat is staying in the stove.
    DS Energymax 160. They also make a 110.

Comfortmax 75 is another similar stove with tubes and a bypass for a longer heat travel path before exiting the stove. It was also their latest wood/coal design before the EPA made them stop advertising burning for wood.

These stoves are Amish built, fully brick lined (two rows) with no exposed inner steel walls. Fiber baffle above the tubes.

Not trying to advertise for them. Just giving some details and wanted to show the nice flames from the reburn tubes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. Hoytman

Hoytman

If anyone once to see the reburn with wood in the 110 here you go. Again, these are NOT EPA 2020 certified.

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

It would be interesting to see just how these stoves would test for emissions. Their reburn is pretty impressive considering “some” individuals say they don’t burn wood well and their reburn isn’t very good. They may not be the cleanest burning stoves (let me choose my words carefully here...lol) when and if you burn wood in them. Pretty mice secondary flames from wood though...for what the EPA deems as black rock burners only.

4. Hoytman

Hoytman

Just seen another thread where a guy has the DS Comfortmax and his reburn tubes were pictured burning nicely with wood as well as with nut coal when burning off the volatile gasses, which I didn’t expect. This same person will be doing an extensive review of wood burning in this stove as well as video. I’m anxious to see it.

I think for the 110 I figured over 3 cubic feet of fire box, and maybe close to 3.5, but I forget now.

To clean the extended smoke travel path just remove the fire bricks.

Horkn, NortheastAl and brenndatomu like this.
  5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I’ve been toying with the idea of a coal/wood burner as it’s getting harder for me to process wood and I find myself buying more. Coal is still cheaper than wood here per BTU and the coal dealer is only a few miles away. Still hoping that’ll be at least a few years off.

I don’t know if anyone knows the answer to this question, but why is wood burning so heavily regulated and coal seems to be EPA exempt.

Hoytman, Horkn and Todd like this.
  6. SD Steve

SD Steve

I have a decent video of my stove with secondaries a'rollin'. But it won't let me upload it.

Hoytman and NortheastAl like this.