In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Moving to north New England

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by BDF, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. I figured that was where you were going. :D
    I'm telling you, that pizza place, in Burlington is the bomb!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It would really be difficult for me to leave out northern Michigan!

mat60, jdude, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  3. BDF

BDF

Spent some time in Syracuse, NY and it is beautiful country to be sure but I am afraid NYC 'rules' are spreading out over the entire state. While RI is decidedly not 2A friendly, it is still not quite to the level of NY, NJ, CA and the other hard- line states regarding personal freedom. I also have a bunch of relatives on L.I. but still, the umbrella spreads there too.

4. Chaz

Chaz

Unfortunately too true
    :confused:

5. BDF

BDF

Yeah, WA is a bit restrictive. ID is attractive though I am pretty ignorant regarding real estate prices, taxes and so forth. The next few states to the east also look promising- especially MT though WY, and the 'kotas would be fine regarding mindset. I have been through SD four times on a motorcycle (on runs from coast to coast, Rye, NY to Ocean Shores, WA in less than 50 hrs.) and honestly, three of those visits were horrible due to wind and heat. It is pretty country being prairie but the wind was relentless and I do not think I could handle that full time.

All the states that have a single, large city (relative to the population) seem to have that city control the leanings of the entire state. Makes sense as the population centers hold the voting majority, espeically states that are otherwise pretty rural like a lot of NY and Illinois.

My son went to school in WA, both in Tacoma as well as Pullman. They liked Pullman pretty well, and it is on the WA / ID border, in fact they did their shopping in Moscow, ID. The Idaho side of that area might be nice as long as it does not get too hot.

That is the deal- breaker with the states in the south and southwest, they are just too hot for far too long.

What some have said about the southern parts of the northern N.E. states really hits home; most of southern NH has become a bedroom community of Boston and so is really kinda' 'Bostony' and I am not looking for that. We have 'sorta' relatives (relatives of relatives through marriage) who live in VT, just outside St. Johnsbury and it seems pretty barren around there, at least to us coming from a very densely populated suburban area. Maybe it is time to re- visit the idea of moving someplace like that though?

Thanks for the input folks, I really do appreciate it.

Brian

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Brian that is true for eastern side of New Hampshire BUT the western side close to VT certainly not case.

Backwoods Savage, mat60, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  7. BDF

BDF

Yes, someone else also mentioned that southeastern NH is a pretty nice area. I did look at real estate prices and while not ridiculous, they are not inexpensive either. I suspect one would have to go further north for better house prices.

This is also a tug- o- war with my wife as she is not interested in terribly rural and especially not interested in lots and lots of snow. She would like to move south in fact. That boils down to three options: 1) stay here. Not really unhappy here though property taxes are very high and that will have an impact when we retire 2) one of us is going to be less than thrilled after moving and 3) two houses. The obvious solution but very costly of course.

Backwoods Savage, mat60, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

It's a shame because NY State is an absolutely beautiful state. Some of my most fondest and most beautiful memories are upstate NY. Some really pretty countryside......but the taxes and 2A rights are just a killer. From what I've seen personally and hear, NH would be on top of my list.

Backwoods Savage, mat60, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz

Yep.. If we could redraw the state line as such..

Screenshot_20200912-153542~2.png

Life would be very different.

There would still be the urban districts of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse..

But the 900lb gorilla would be all on its own.
    :thumbs:

10. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

You’re not the only one. If it weren’t for grandkids we’d be long gone.

11. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That would just about do it! That line is perfect! :thumbs:

bogieb, Chaz, NortheastAl and 2 others like this.