In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Deer hunting anyone....?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by SD Steve, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SD Steve

SD Steve

So, the first thing that I want to say is that I have never shot a deer. I have shot at them.....but never have I filled my tag. I guess I'm just a bad deer hunter.

I dont know why, but this year I applied for 2 different tags. One is a normal Brown County South Dakota tag (the county i live in), and the other tag is actually a refuge tag for the Sand Lake National wildlife refuge. The nearest point for the refuge is only about 3 miles from my house. Both tags are what they called antlerless in my state, which are basically doe tags but if you find a young buck with just nubs for a rack, those are good too.

This was the first time I have applied for more than 1 tag, I have problems filling 1 tag, what am I going to do with 2!!??!!

Anyone got any tips on finally bagging one? Just FYI, i have a pretty bad fear of heights, so dear stands are out of the question.

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

So I'm guessing your using a rifle? If so make sure it is sited in for the distance you may be shooting at deer. Know the ballistics of the ammo you are using. If legal in SD consider using a ground blind. Any questions just ask.
    upload_2020-9-20_4-46-5.jpeg

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Dad loves a good ol' cedar tree... clean up the limbs for shooting lanes...pull up a chair against the trunk... Plus cedar gives you a wind break and scent shield...

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Season starts here Oct 1 for archery and Nov 15 for rifle.

First deer? #1 is to have patience. #2 is pay attention to the wind because their sense of scent is better than a dogs. Even if they don't see you if they smell you, they are gone. Of course this assumes you know your rifle or gun.

What would you shoot here?
    Nice.JPG

5. SD Steve

SD Steve

I would go for the doe right up front, as thats what my tag is for. If I had a buck tag I would go for the buck on the left, as the others are not presenting a decent target and they are crowded up. Or be patient and wait until i had a better shot......

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Most definitely (if a regular tag) patience is the big key here. The deer are not spooked. Don't move!!! Wait until all is right.

Perhaps one other thing I should mention as it is such a common thing. When you do move; don't jerk. Make all of your movements slow when you are hunting. Especially turning your head. Even if in a blind, turning the head fast as we tend to do normally can and will spook a deer. When things or animals are jerky or move quickly, that is a sign of danger to animals, especially to deer which are naturally spooky and on edge.

Of course there are many things to learn and keep in mind. Have fun learning how to become successful.

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I’d take the doe.... antlers are hard to get tender....:whistle:

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

8. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

..............Not if you boil them for a couple days!:stirpot::eek:

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

SD Steve I would agree with your choice of what to shoot at.

10. SD Steve

SD Steve

Thanks, I feel like I know what I'm doing out there. I just have bad luck out there.

11. Ron T

Ron T

Hunt the wind. Always hunt the wind.

12. billb3

billb3

Considering a new hobby here.

NH mountain man and Loon like this.
  13. Huskie303

Huskie303

Hunt the rut hard. Hormones are out of control.

NH mountain man, Loon and Ron T like this.
  14. BCB

BCB

I'm a fan of the huntstand app. You can mark locations, check weather and see which way the wind is blowing before you get out there. I just started using it this year.

Loon likes this.
  15. B.Brown

B.Brown

Not sure about this year, with all the fires we've had around here, it just don't seem fair to put more pressure on these poor animals. They've been run out of their normal area's and are heading down to lower more protected grounds. A friend of mine had 5 of them in his yard the other day, first time he'd seen that many there in a long time. Its been raining and that will help some, with some of the fires, but, with the size they are, it'll have to rain a lot to cool the burned out area's down. Then, there's the problem of food for the deer and elk. Being stressed like they have been its going to be tough on them this winter, so, for me, not sure if i'll go or not. leaning towards not going this year.

NH mountain man and Loon like this.