In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. BDF

BDF

Yeah, unlike a boiler or a furnace, the user has a tremendous amount of control over how efficient as well as how clean a wood stove runs. Even pellet stoves are pretty well controlled by manufacture although certainly the fuel varies.

Just my personal opinion but I think a lot of the metrics on wood stoves are either useless, or worse than useless because they either mislead or outright lie. But even some perfectly correct data can be a bit misleading, for example, I am sure the firebox of an I.S. is what Woodstock says it is but it is difficult to fill, or at least I find it to be so. A different stove with a rectangular firebox, and especially one that loads from the end could be a little smaller and yet be more likely to hold more fire wood in actual use. Of course firebox size is still meaningful because a less than effortless 3.2 cu. ft. firebox is still certainly practically bigger than, say, a 1.5 cu. ft. firebox.

There is a house in my neighborhood that has medium smoke rolling out of the chimney 24/7, across the entire winter. Honestly I have no idea how they are even able to do that? But whenever I look, there is the black trail in the sky leading to that same chimney. So I suspect that no matter what stove they are using, or even if it was replaced tomorrow with an Uber- Spiffy 1000 which the EPA says will only produce 1 gram of particulate (smoke) all winter, they would manage to turn it into the same 'converts wood to smoke' machine they have now. Somewhat amusing, kinda' sad but most of all, absolutely amazing that they can maintain that level of terrible but clearly, they have a talent for that. :picard::bug:

Chaz, chance04, Stephiedoll and 3 others like this.
  2. chance04

chance04

Has anyone heard anything from WS?
    Just curious, and I wanted to bump this thread :D

3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

No, I've emailed Lorin a couple times after she said I would need to get it the freight company, that was in my spam folder. I was wondering if I need paperwork to take it but have not heard back. Also left a couple voicemails with them but no reply. Tried again this morning, but forgot about the time difference so I was 10 minutes after they closed. Gave them the option as they are in busy season just to wait until spring.
    They must be very very busy right now.

chance04 likes this.
  4. BDF

BDF

About the same in my case- I have contacted them at least four times now asking about an estimate on when they will get my stove out and each time I have been told they would get back to me when they know something and so far, no response. And yes, they are slammed and they told me that from the day they received the stove (maybe a month ago or so). It is understandable because while this is their busiest time of year normally, they are also swamped trying to catch up from Covid related delays and I believe some time shut down though I am not sure of that.

It is starting to get chilly here but Penny (from Woodstock) told me they have already had frost there (I am about 3 hours south and on the coast so it is not as cold here).

Brian

Maina and chance04 like this.
  5. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Yea Brian, I'm not worried about getting it repaired as they are a great company and no-one should be concerned about purchasing from them. This is just a perfect storm scenario situation. At this point, I am hoping they just ask me to wait until spring and I don't procrastinate this time.

6. BDF

BDF

Agreed- there is absolutely no bad intent or lack of effort on Woodstock's part going on, this situation is just overwhelming them, along with a lot of other businesses right now. While I have called a few times, I do not do it constantly because I am not trying to 'beat' on them to go faster, and the office staff is working in the production facilities and so while they are talking to me on the phone, they are not moving the whole process forward.

I actually let it slide last year as my stove was supposed to have the firebox replaced a year ago. But they were slammed then too I expect and I told them not to rush in my case and that resulted in what the famous expression states: "Some things must be put off many times before they are forgotten about completely". :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

If you still have your stove and the crack is not large or has any significant seperation yet you can probably go another winter. Mine did and the crack actually grew very slowly but by the end of the burning season it was allowing air to leak into the airbox past the door gasket and the crack had reached the upper hinge.

7. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Maybe I'll post a picture. I've been very up front about the option to wait until spring as it is my fault that I waited till busy season. I am 100% good with that, even if it means I do not burn wood this year. Heck the wood will just have another year to dry, but do plan on dragging it back in to place.

8. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Still haven't heard back from Lorin, but finished packing up the stove. I think it is one with the pallet.

Attached Files:

Marvin, Maina and brenndatomu like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Zoomy looking "stove" ;)

Maina, chance04, Sailrmike and 2 others like this.
  10. chance04

chance04

Is that a custom octopus adiron in the glass??!!

Maina likes this.
  11. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

It might be, partner's car. I own my POS F250.

chance04, Maina and brenndatomu like this.
  12. chance04

chance04

Has anyone heard from Woodstock at all?
    I know they have to be slammed with new production, I'm just nosey is all

brenndatomu and NVhunter like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Enquiring minds want to know...;)

chance04 and NVhunter like this.
  14. chance04

chance04

Jyessssss

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. Warner

Warner

Well this is rather discouraging. Woodstock was one of the top contenders in my stove search. It’s great they are fixing the stove for free but broken stove owners left hanging ain’t cool.

Highbeam likes this.
  16. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Last time I talked to Penny, she said yes they are buried. Gave her the option that I would just wait until spring to send my stove in, she was concerned about our safety but should not have a problem. I understood that they will let me know when they feel the service department will have time to repair it.
    Still need to put it back in service.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yeah I called a week ago.. they were thinking mine will be about Halloween.

they told me they are prioritizing makes sense, woodstove only heat comes first. Then north to south really

chance04 likes this.
  18. chance04

chance04

I wouldn't say I'm left hanging. I knew when I was two months behind getting mine out of the house and on a pallet I wouldn't be seeing it back right away. And I haven't needed it just yet. Burning a bit of fuel oil to keep the cob webs blown out if the old girl

Canadian border VT likes this.
  19. chance04

chance04

I'm down in MD
    I haven't really missed the stove too much as if yet, it's still fairly mild down here. North to south makes sense, and I have a backup to hold me over until it gets back. Glad to hear you'll be seeing yours back soon.
    When did you ship it in?

Canadian border VT likes this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Drove it down aug 20 ish they were so busy owner was driving forklift did not know how!!

chance04, Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.