In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pacific Energy Air Control. Alderlea T5 LE

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by coreboy83, Sep 15, 2020.

1. coreboy83

coreboy83

Calling all PE owners. Here is the situation : once we are in a burn cycle, we are closing the air down in stages. Once we have the burn to where we want to close it all the way down (flue temp around 675 for a cruise) the lever feels resistant and slightly springy. I was skeptical when the wife told me about this and she left it be until I got home. I gave it a try, and the dang thing slowly opened back up to about an 1/8th. This never happened last year when we had it installed in March. I'm waiting on a response from Support @ PE. It's not the end of the world, just a real head scratcher. I'm not aware of the EBT "moving the lever for you"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    woody5506 likes this.
  2. coreboy83

coreboy83

3. woody5506

woody5506

Never had this issue with mine, it always slides right closed as needed. Have you gotten under the stove at all to see if there is something hindering the levers which close off the air intake? As I recall it's a pretty simple design, but it's been a while since I've gotten down and taken a look at mine.

coreboy83 likes this.
  4. coreboy83

coreboy83

That's my plan for this evening. Semi related, have you modded the damper to close even more? I hear the stop that the damper swings into can be gingerly bent open, allowing the plate to close almost fully

woody5506 likes this.
  5. woody5506

woody5506

Never tried! heck with my luck I'd end up breaking something....but you do have me curious now

coreboy83 likes this.
  6. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I modified my air control when I first installed the stove. It had the extended burn technology and I did a work around. It seemed to slow down the burn and make it more controllable. I have never had the lever move once it was set. The EBT metered the intake air but never changed the lever position.

coreboy83 likes this.
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

8. coreboy83

coreboy83

I peeked at it this morning. The keeper cap on the spring had a small red chunk on it. The same red little turds I saw on the ash dump flap. I just flicked it and the condition could not be replicated.

9. coreboy83

coreboy83

The triangle shaped blade completely covers the hole on my LE. It hangs clear of the steel to steel contact.

10. coreboy83

coreboy83

OhioStihl, what did the work around for the EBT involve ?

OhioStihl likes this.
  11. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My apologies for not replying sooner. I just now read your questions. The version of EBT on my stove would give more air when the fire was dying down. This would ensure a more complete burn. It’s been a long time but I think it is based on a metallic thermostat style spring.
    The stove wasn’t as controllable as I would of liked. I don’t remember exactly but I think I disconnected the spring from the mechanical flapper that let more air in. The modification really helped. I think I read somewhere that the system has been change or upgraded since I bought my PE.
    Once again, sorry about the late replay.

coreboy83 likes this.
  12. coreboy83

coreboy83

No problem at all. I think the LE has too much air, because the EBT2. Complete burns 100% of the time overnight, with easy re-lights. Our burn times are shorter than expected, 3-4 hours with 3-4 splits. And she pumps the heat ! Never jammed it full, I would be too nervous. My Condar FlueGard hits 900 regularly as it is. I wouldn't mind digging into it and deleting the EBT

13. billb3

billb3

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.19.38 PM.png
    You could probably easily put some tape over all or part of the hole or at least check that there's nothing holding it open.

iirc, EBT is only on the bigger stoves with a separate air for the secondaries.

Marvin and coreboy83 like this.