In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sizing a Stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Bouch_MA, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Bouch_MA

Bouch_MA

I need some advice.

I have a 900 sq ft home, forced hot air and can switch the blower on to circulate heat from a stove all around the house. The house was built in the 50's, and the windows are older (atleast 20-30 years old) double pane windows. It has insulation but I am doubt anyone would describe the house have well insulate.

Vermont Castings Aspen C3 is an option, but I dislike the lack of air intake control. I want a Hearthstone Craftsbury (sized for ~up to 1400 sqft.) If I go the Craftsbury root, will I most likely be too hot in the living space where the stove is and try too burn it at less capacity? If so, does this give me a very inefficient burn and creosote problems? Hearthstone sales rep said the 2020 EPA regulations made it safer and more efficient to burn at lower temps than in previous models. Does anyone have a small Hearthstone stove eithe green mountain or Craftsbury with the 2020 EPA ratings? Any reviews?

2. Todd

Todd

It will always be a little hotter in the stove room no matter what stove you go with. A strategically place fan or two can help with that. I never had any luck using the furnace blower to circulate the heat.

3. Bouch_MA

Bouch_MA

Thanks Todd

Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Geoff C

Geoff C

Woodstock Palladin or Keystone would probably work pretty well.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Bouch_MA first welcome to the FHC:handshake:
    It has been my experience, that those square foot ratings, are probably accurate for southern Tennessee certainly not in the Northeast. I don’t think a 1400 square-foot rated stove will over heat you. Especially in a 70 year old house with 25 year old windows!

realize That all woodstoves are a space heater and whatever room you have the woodstove in will naturally be warmer

6. Bouch_MA

Bouch_MA

Interesting, and thanks for the welcome note! Another comment mentioned the blower in a furnace as a distribution of the heat throughout the house hasn't worked out for him. Any thoughts?. My vent is ~10-12 feet from the stove and I'm hoping it cirulates heat somewhat, but we will see.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve seen many different folks here comment that the furnace blower running was not helpful at all. Never seen anybody say it works either. Hope this helps.

Backwoods Savage and Bouch_MA like this.
  8. moresnow

moresnow

I am in the "nearly zero success" camp trying to circulate heat produced by a wood stove with a forced air duct system. Simply lose to much heat in the ducts.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Bouch_MA I have no personal experience with using a forced hot air furnace the move heat. So what I will tell you is what I have heard Dennis or Backwoods Savage say. Ohh if you through an @ sign in front of screen name it high lights and sends an alert.

Backwoods Savage would say use a small fan on floor and push cold air to stove; works best to move heat around..

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thanks Lyle.

Yes a small fan sitting on floor, say in hallway or by far room, set on low speed, can work wonders on heat circulation.

We too have a small home and used to have to run a fan to get heat to the far end of the house. Then over 13 years ago we bought a Woodstock Fireview and the radiant heat we get we no longer need a fan and the far rooms stay nice. Also no longer do we have to run a small heater in bathroon before a shower. It stays nice and warm.

We too came very close to buying a hearthstone but extremely happy we did not. Also Hearthstone changed because they were forced to meet the new air quality standards but Woodstock met the new standards with no change; the Fireview has been a very clean burning stove for many years.

brenndatomu, coreboy83 and Hoytman like this.