In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jøtul Oslo and large loads?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Sean in the woods, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    To all who have Jøtul F500 Oslo stoves,

Do you pack the stove full east to west? If so, have you ever had a log roll into or rest against the glass?

Has anyone installed andirons?

Thanks
    Sean

303Bourbon likes this.
  2. 303Bourbon

303Bourbon

I do, and yes I've had logs roll hard into the glass and rest there. Not much you can do when it happens. I don't have andirons.

Attached Files:

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

Certainly not Jotul glass, but if the Jotul has 5mm Neoceramic glass (look in your manual) like a lot of modern stoves have, then you shouldn’t have much worry about a log rolling into your glass.

This video blew me away. He’s whacking that window pretty darn hard, and with the corner of the 2x4 no less which stresses the glass even more.

Rich L, brenndatomu and 303Bourbon like this.
  4. Semipro

Semipro

Same here.

303Bourbon likes this.
  5. Old Nate

Old Nate

I have an Oslo 500 and the logs have rolled onto the glass, but this seldom happens. You'll get the hang of loading it so you avoid logs rolling forward and when this does happen the worst part is soot building up on the glass. I've never worried about the logs doing any kind of damage to my glass, by the time the log rolls it's most likely already burning pretty well and there's not far for it to roll any way.

To your other question, yes we pack it full east to west and it puts out the heat! I also load North/South sometimes with the small funky nubbin chunks of wood I always end up with sometimes and it does well that way too... I'll be interested to hear how your V3 Oslo works for you this winter. We've had our Oslo since 2017 and I think it has worked better and we've gotten to know it better every winter!

Sean in the woods likes this.
  6. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    Thanks!

How long can your splits be to fit well north to south?

Old Nate likes this.
  7. Old Nate

Old Nate

Off the top of my head... not long 10-12”. Maybe 12”+