In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Northern Wisconsin Wood Pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thebierguy, Sep 14, 2020.

1. thebierguy

thebierguy

18.65 Cords of White Ash (With a little Black Ash and Birch Mixed in) delivered today. I guess I know what I am doing this winter. And for how high it was stacked - Gonna need a tractor to get those logs down.

Already is pretty dry. Was sitting in the log yard for about a year, before being delivered to me. Eager to get my moisture meter to see what it is sitting at.

20200916_135644.jpg 20200916_140123.jpg 20200916_141650.jpg 20200916_143458.jpg

2. Chud

Chud

Now that’s a truck load! Definitely going to need a new tractor to process those logs. :thumbs:

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'd be in my glory processing a pile like that. Set myself up with a 5 gallon can of pre-mix, a couple jugs of bar oil, a couple extra chains ready to go, and go on a weekend-long cutting bender LOL. Nice straight logs you've got there; couldn't ask for much better.

4. thebierguy

thebierguy

So now the question stands- what do I work on first? Finish the 8 or so cords of oak logs or start on the Ash? I think i am tempted to get started on the Ash and get a few face cord CSS and covered in the next few weeks. Maybe it will be usable end of winter (Sellable for those that need it come February).

5. SD Steve

SD Steve

Great to have you here with us!!

I wish I had more room to store more wood. My property is only 50 ft. wide by 140 ft. long. I got wood in the garage in the shed and all around both, and a Holz Hausen toward one corner of the yard. I even have aboard a cord or so stacked at my folks house about 3 block away.

6. Skier76

Skier76

Welcome aboard! Great property and great equipment! Really cool to hear you folks have done well with selling some fire/campfire wood this season.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Nice; its been a few years since I've paid for a truckload of wood like that!

8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Go with the ash.

9. Warner

Warner

Nice load of logs! They look to be nice size to process. Around here they load them on in the opposite direction and there was all ways some big mamma jammas in the load.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC thebierguy :handshake: Nice to have you join us! Great looking set up you have. Well thought out and organized. Im curious to see your wood bundling assembly as i sell bundles too.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Due to the drying time, I'd do the oak Forest. After that, do the ash you just got.

It looks like you have plenty of wood otherwise I'd say do that ash first. That ash, if it's been cut a year might only take a few months to be fully under 20% MC. At worst, a summer of drying and it will be ready. So it will be good for next year if done by Spring.

12. jo191145

jo191145

Welcome to the forum bierguy. Impressive operation you have going there. Get yourself a tractor and dont forget the grapple. Ah, I just love that word.

13. thebierguy

thebierguy

buZZsaw BRAD Thanks! Next time I make some I will take a few more pictures. All I use for the wrap is baler twine from TSC. Wrap one end, make a few knots, leaving one tail pretty long. Wrap the other end and leave a tail on that knot. Then connect the tails from each end together to make a handle.

Note - this forum needs the multiquote feature.

14. thebierguy

thebierguy

Grapple grapple. Thanks!

15. thebierguy

thebierguy

yooperdave When I bought the Oak last year at $100 per cord, I thought it would be a few years before I bought another. When I started selling the bundles and my wife heard how cheap the Ash was, she thought we should buy a truckload. I sure didn't expect to get the 17.5 cord that I did though. I'm good for while.

What part of the UP are you in? We spend a lot of time at cabin just west of Bergland on Lake Gogebic. Also typically head up towards the Porky's/Silver City/Manabezho falls quite often. I'm only about 45 minutes from Michigan.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  16. thebierguy

thebierguy

Thanks. I think I am fortunate to live in a "tourist destination." Tons camping, cabins, lakes, and recreation. I am surround by lakes for the most part and I think approximately 50% or less of houses are full time residents. The rest come up from southern Wisconsin and Illinois.

I hope next year I can get more repeat customers (I have had at least one I know of this year). I'm trying to keep em by providing a bit more wood than what you can buy for $5 at a gas station.

17. Horkn

Horkn

You can multi quote thebierguy . Just hit the reply button. While posting. I don't think there's a limit on the quotes.

18. thebierguy

thebierguy

Holy smokes. That works!

19. ErikR

ErikR

Welcome from Cable, WI!

Wow, impressive amount of wood you've got there. I'm looking forward to some day tackling a huge truck load like that. All my firewood has been locally scavenged dead fallen oak, or donated to me by my brother-in-law

Good luck in your tractor search. I'm only on about 3 acres so I ended up with a Deere 1025r. I use it for mowing, blowing, and firewood duties. Even on my small lot a tractor is unbelievably handy.

A couple of questions if you don't mind... how much wood is in the bundle you sell for $5? and, who do you buy the truck load of ash from?

20. thebierguy

thebierguy

ErikR I have my "jig" sized to 0.75 Cubic Feet (9" x 9" x 16") I do like to put 1-3 pieces above the jig to make it a touch bigger than 0.75 cubic feet though, perhaps almost 1 cf. When I did a little market research a while back, a gas station was selling 0.6 cf bundles for $5.

I got this load from a trucking outfit in Medford. (Smola Rock n Wood). I see they have a Facebook marketplace ad for selling split firewood and also mentioning the 8' logs as well. He delivers for my uncle a few miles down the highway who burns 2-3 semi-truck loads a season for his green houses, which is how I was connected. The Oak I purchased from a logger out of Tomahawk who was logging about a mile and half from my house.