In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Good help this weekend

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Erik B, Sep 13, 2020.

  1. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,650
    Likes Received:
    39,082
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    My eldest son came for a visit this weekend with the intent of helping me with firewood. Saturday morning was rainy and wet but it kind of quit in the afternoon. We did get some red oak cut and hauled to the processing area. We went at it this morning for a couple of hours and got more done. We had gotten close to 2 inches of rain the past few days so things got a little muddy. First pic is what he got hauled to the processing area. Second pic shows where my tractor was tearing up the ground a little bit. Third pic is a pile of split rounds that need to be brought to the processing area. I needed someone young to split the rounds to where I can handle them. We left them close to where we had been cutting due to it getting very muddy and I didn't want to chew up the yard any more than what we had already done. Last pic is what is still left to cut. That log is a branch that came off of a nearby red oak. I have more wood to cut, but it may have to wait until spring. I have cataract surgery on Sept. 24 and I may be limited in what I can get done. I hope to get all of this wood split and stacked before surgery. DSC03614.JPG DSC03615.JPG DSC03616.JPG DSC03617.JPG
     
    Reddingnative, bang, mat60 and 19 others like this.
  2. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    That’s good that you and your son got to spend some time together. Glad you got some wood put up!
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,614
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :thumbs:
     
  4. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,625
    Location:
    Vermont
    Great pics and :tip: to your son!
     
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Excellent!
    :thumbs:
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,951
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Gonna be some primo firewood! :thumbs: Mud is a PITA to deal with when moving wood. Trying to move a bunch of splits myself before a yard gets muddy. Great that your son helped!
     
  7. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,079
    Likes Received:
    29,341
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Agreed, mud is a PITA. Glad you had some help to get a little done and have some quality time together.
     
  8. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,650
    Likes Received:
    39,082
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    It was great having him here this weekend. He swings a maul with less effort than I do. I was doing the cutting and he was hauling the wood and splitting the larger rounds where I can handle them. It should be sunny and dry this week so I may be able to move that one stack of chunks to the processing area later this week without doing more damage to the yard.
     
  9. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Nice work & "man time" for sure, I love working with my son. As for the surgery, everyone I know that's had it done has been back to full activity in just a couple weeks time. Most say it was one of the best things they've done due to incredible vision improvement. Hope yours goes that way as well!
     
  10. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,650
    Likes Received:
    39,082
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    I have had one eye done already a couple of years ago. I can't remember how long I was limited in what I could do. That is one of the questions I will be asking. The wood cut this weekend won't be burned for 4 or 5 years.
     
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck on the surgery Erik. It seems to me it is at least 4 weeks before doing much.
     
  12. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,650
    Likes Received:
    39,082
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    That is what I thought. It may be November before I can get out there again. At least I should be able to keep the house stocked with firewood.
     
    mat60, Chvymn99, Stephiedoll and 4 others like this.
  13. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,650
    Likes Received:
    39,082
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    I started splitting and stacking on Monday and continued on Tuesday and today I finally got it all split and stacked. It gave me 11 and a half trailers loads of splits, with my trailer being a 15CF John Deere garden trailer.
     
    mat60 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.